Author Topic: right Cerebellopontine Angle Meningiomas surgery options  (Read 4727 times)

xjxj_1983

right Cerebellopontine Angle Meningiomas surgery options
« on: June 06, 2014, 07:46:39 am »
My mom has right cerebellopontine angle meingiomas. She was diagnosed in May 18th, 2014. It is on the right and the size is 15mm * 13mm. She was worried about this tumor and will do another MRI this week.

We wanna know the surgery options for this tumor and how dangerous for the surgery, any possible side effect?

BTW, how is Johns hopkins hospital in this tumor?
I am in the US but not my mom. can she take flight now and after surgery? will the flight cause any problem to her brain? How long the recovery may take?

If you have any information, or you have experience in this tumor, please kindly let me know.

Sorry for so many questions, I am so worried about her health. Thank you so much!!!

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: right Cerebellopontine Angle Meningiomas surgery options
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 07:01:00 pm »
Hi, your mom's tumor might be well be treatable with radiation therapy such as GammaKnife (GK), CyberKnife (CK), or Fractionated Stereotactic Radiation (FSR). Surgery is also an option.

While this is all scary, it is very treatable.

Before I go further, please understand, I am an unusual case.

I have a left side CPA meningioma. When it was detected, it was significantly larger, about the size of a golf ball. It is right on an artery so it has a very good blood supply and was very "sticky." It was also deep into my neck. So, my surgery was extraordinarily long at 32 hours - very unusual. They were able to remove about 90-95% of it and I spent about three months recovering before returning to work. Two years later, after it was determined to be growing again, it was treated with 28 sessions of FSR (low dosage radiation).

4.5 years later it is showing signs of the tumor shrinking and most everyone agrees with me that I am pretty wonderful.  ;D
You can read a detailed story at http://randomdatablog.com/brain-tumor/

Your mom probably has plenty of time to consider treatment options and get multiple opinions. She probably does not have to rush. As for flying, I think most patients are able to fly about two weeks post-surgery.

There are a variety of possible side effects, but there really seems no way to predict them. Please read the materials available from the ANA - you will find those helpful.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

xjxj_1983

Re: right Cerebellopontine Angle Meningiomas surgery options
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 10:07:46 pm »
Thank you so much, Tod.
So you think radiation therapy might be better and safer for the small size?
I heard this tumor grows very slow, so she could have more time to make decision, right?
Do you experience any side effect recently?