Author Topic: Post Gamma Knife complications  (Read 6196 times)

tesuquegirl

Post Gamma Knife complications
« on: June 09, 2014, 04:43:58 am »
I am 6 months post gamma knife and have had numerous complications/side effects including 90% hearing loss, balance issues, sensory deficits, vertigo, dizziness and recently, some facial twitching.
My 6 month post GK MRI showed that the tumor has grown from 6 mm to 9-10 mm and has a cyst in it. I am trying not to panic!  My Dr said he"ll see me in 6 months.
 I don't know where to turn. Any feedback is appreciated.

Kat From Indiana

Re: Post Gamma Knife complications
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 06:05:12 pm »
Yikes!  What did your doctor say?  Might this be the swelling before the shrinking phase?  I have an 8mm AN and am scheduled for GK this Friday.  I cannot lie, this scares me.  I hope some seasoned veterans will reply to your post.  Best wishes for a quick turn of events. 
Diagnosed 3/29/14 Right Side AN 8mm x 3mm x 4mm
GK UPMC 6/13/14
MRI 12/03/2014

tesuquegirl

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 06:21:11 pm »
Hi Kat~first of all, I'm sending good healing energy and luck your way for your GK surgery this Friday.
May all go perfectly!  My situation is very unusual I was told today by a doctor I consulted with.
He recommended I go to U of Pittsburg Medical Ctr. to consult with them, as they are very well known for GK. Keep us posted as to your progress. Best~ Jan

Petrone

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 09:16:38 pm »

First, we all react differently to radiation, but I had an MRI done 3 months after GK last year and my 1.8 cm AN had swelled and splayed considerably to over 2.2 cm. It actually looked like a piece of cooked popcorn!  But, when I had another MRI done 6 months after GK, the swelling had completely receded and my AN was actually slightly smaller than before GK (1.7 cm).  Granted, I had some troubling side-effects during those few months of swelling, but all of those side-effects tapered off when the swelling went down and I'm now symptom-free. 

Hang in there!  Swelling is part of the process and may be a sign that the GK is doing what it's intended to do, which is kill the little bugger! 

Best wishes!
Petrone
1.4cm diagnosed 3/2010
W&W until 1.8cm by 10/2012
GK performed 4/17/2013 at Froedtert in WI
2 years after GK - 1.6cm
3 years after GK - 1.4cm

mesafinn

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 11:58:01 am »
Swelling can begin 5-9 months post-GK and is not uncommon.  It should subside over time, but most doctors who do GK indicate swelling and post-treatment symptoms can last for 18-24 months.    It IS still a surgery and there are side effects.

Consult with your doctor, but rest assured what you are experiencing is not too unusual.
Oct 2012:  Constant Pulsatile Tinnitus
Feb 28, 2013: Dx AN 1.4 cm X .9 mm
April 19, 2013:  GK at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."

tesuquegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 12:49:28 pm »
Thank you so much for the encouragement.

shalu186

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 05:32:24 am »
Hi,

Could you please let me know what is AN?

AM suffering from pulsatile tinnitus  :'(, it started during my pregnancy and did not go even after delivery  :(.

I had an MRI scan which was normal. To add, I could stop my tinnitus by pressing below my neck.

Please let me know if anyone have any idea.

Thanks,
Lavanya

cindyjarrett

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 02:22:07 pm »
Wish you the best of luck.  I am 20 months out from GK.  At about 4 months, I began to have shooting pain in my face and ear pain on the AN side.  My doctors put me on a steroid.  First steroid did nothing. Second steroid made all of the pain stop.  I was on a low dose for almost a month.  Had a MRI done, and I did have some swelling.  Have had no other side effects since.  The last two MRI's I have gotten has shown shrinkage.  If you continue to have problems, I would call your doctor's back.  I know you are scared, but it should get better with time.
Diagnosed 8/9/12 with an on left side
19 mm x 17 mm x 13 mm
tinnitus with high pitch hearing loss
Will have gammaknife at UVA with Dr. Sheehan on 10/12/12
Trusting in God

cpchri1

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 04:47:12 pm »
Hi,

Could you please let me know what is AN?

Lavanya -

'AN' is an Acoustic Neuroma; Sometimes it's called a vestibular schwannoma which is typically a benign intracrainal tumor arising from the vestibulocochlear nerve (8th cranial nerve). An 'AN' is the purpose of this website!
.7 x .6 x .5 cm left middle fossa approach 2/26/14
50% hearing loss left side before 2/26/14
50% hearing loss left side after 2/26/14
No evidence of malignancy
Bell's Palsy left side 15 years before 2014