Author Topic: I AM NEW and have QUESTIONS about Acoustic neuromas  (Read 11303 times)

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: I AM NEW and have QUESTIONS about Acoustic neuromas
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 06:26:42 pm »
DD,
  You asked about prevelence of ANs.  The 1 in 100,000 people statistic is a little misleading.  It's actually 1 in 100,000 people diagnosed every year.  So the number of diagnosed AN patients walking around is probably 10 to 20 times that number.  Studies on cadavers have also indicated that many people who have an AN live out their lives either without being bothered by it, or at least not having it diagnosed.  Cadaver studies estimate that perhaps as many as 3 to 6 % of people may have an AN.
  As others have mentioned, the "gold standard" for diagnosing an AN is an MRI with contrast.  Search this forum for "MRI" and you'll find a few MRIs posted.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

dieselducy

• dieselducy is a REAL live train engine!!
    • This is my silly website!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 08:15:52 pm »
i went to a doc in salem about 1.5 years ago,, i have absolutely no hearing loss whatsoever,, just that funny noise that sounds like fluid, or a bowling ball..  also noticible when i yawn or chew..
dieselducy is a REAL live train engine!!

http://dieselducy.com

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 04:01:49 pm »
Welcome diesel from Hampton Roads Virginia !!    (currently rain soaked...we got over a foot here of rain from Ernesto and lost power for 3 1/2 hours).   There are a few of us here in Virginia starting to post..glad to see some neighbors.  :)

You've found a great place for info and support...

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2006, 07:37:52 am »

Dont lose any sleep about deafness in one ear .. of the many problems a large AN can cause .. its the least of the problems... I too was worried about my hearing .. but now thats its gone ... it really not a big deal ... I do have a BAHA hearing aid which helps ...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 10:05:35 am »
Quite honestly, there are many diseases of the ear (including meniere's) and others. A colleague at work had the rumblings you described and they weren't an AN.

There are other tests that are cheaper that may signal the presence of an AN.  One is an ABR test. 
When I was at House in 2001, they were doing research on that very topic, trying to make it even more telling for those unable to afford an MRI.  I don't know if that research project yielded a better or easier diagnostic level.

The MRI with contrast (as suggested by others) is the definite way to go.

I wish you well.
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/