Author Topic: 2 years post op and doing well  (Read 2987 times)

Jsoule

2 years post op and doing well
« on: September 16, 2006, 11:02:41 pm »
Hello, This month marks my 2 year post surgery anniversary.  I had a 1.7cm tumor on the left side. Had hearing loss, and some balance issues that forced me to see the ENT. After the first wrong diagnosis, (was told it was just old age), I was 47 at the time, I still had a feeling something was wrong, and went to another ENT who luckly sent me for a MRI and the rest is history. I researched a lot, and this form was very helpful. I called and wrote to others who had surgery as well as radiation. For me I wanted the darn thing out, so I went with the surgery at House in Los Angeles. Dr Brackmann and Dr Hitzelberger were the tag team.  I was there for 9 days and flew home. Rested for 5 weeks and went back to work. I was very happy with the results, no facial issues, no eye issues, other that occasional dryness, but I  had this before surgery due to having lasik surgery. The hearing loss is managable in most situations, but hard in loud places. Balance is good, but for some reason when a storm or sudden climate change, I notice it more.Walking in the dark is also a bit of a challenge, but I now use night lights in the house and that helps. Maybe, that IS a sign of old age, I remember my Mom doing it at some point when I was growing up.(ha-ha) Life is good, and happy it is now behind me. I do check the message board now and then, and would be happy to give more details about surgery and recovery, if someone is in the process of sorting out their options. For anyone newly diagnosed, research all the options, don't be afraid, when you are ready to make your decision, feel confident you did your homework and then relax. Let the surgeons, or the Dr's or radiology do what they do best. Best wishes to all. Julie

Battyp

Re: 2 years post op and doing well
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 08:46:07 am »
julie don't you hate that old age statement?  I was told I started with tinnitus due to turning 40....8 mos later they decided it was due to an AN!  DUH!  Sounds like you're doing great....did you notice much improvement between year one and two?

Laura

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 01:06:09 pm »
That is great Julie. It really is nice to hear success stories; thanks for posting!
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

Desilu

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 01:31:30 pm »
Hi Julie,

Glad to hear another success story! I too had the same doctors as you but I am only one year out of surgery and life is good. I did retain most of my hearing. I was 46 at the time, I don't think we're getting older, we're just getting better! Glad that you took the time to post! Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger