Author Topic: just thinking...  (Read 2476 times)

wife4life

• well, it could have been worse!
just thinking...
« on: March 26, 2014, 10:19:02 am »
Has anyone ever heard of anyone dying (on this forum) from AN?  what about letting it go untreated for a long period of time?
I am curious if the surgery part of this is safe and most if not all people survive?
3cm leftsided an
surgery scheduled 6-29-06
charlotte nc
**complete resection of tumor, total left side facial paralysis,total hearing loss**

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: just thinking...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 01:05:53 pm »
Has anyone ever heard of anyone dying (on this forum) from AN?

Not in the almost eight years I've been a member.

what about letting it go untreated for a long period of time?

In many cases  (mine included) a growing tumor will eventually expand enough to push against the brain stem.  This condition would inevitably cause very noticeable symptoms and if left unaddressed could conceivably cause you to cease breathing and die.  My normally cautious neurosurgeon told me in no uncertain terms: "this could kill you".  I believed him - and underwent surgery 3 weeks later. 

I am curious if the surgery part of this is safe and most if not all people survive?

It is demanding microsurgery requiring skill and experience and as such carries inherent risks.  The overall mortality rate for AN surgery is .05%.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21856684  I believe the few AN surgery patients that do not survive the surgery have other medical issues that exacerbate the normal risks of AN surgery.   The overwhelming majority not only survive the surgery but recover fairly well from it.  I'm one of those.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: just thinking...
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 06:36:45 pm »
I was told that due to the size and location of my tumor I had three to six months before facing coma and death. Given that my surgery was 32 hours long, I have no trouble believing this, nor did I then.

Folks with very small tumors may stay in watch and wait for years. For some of us, that is not a good option.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.