Author Topic: Diagnosed this morning!  (Read 5347 times)

iz2014

Diagnosed this morning!
« on: March 20, 2014, 11:22:44 am »
Hello all,

I'm 27 and this morning I was diagnosed with an AN. It was sort of a relief to know it wasn't anything more serious... I'm a mum and the thought of being unable to bring up my little girl scared me. I don't know how big mine is, I only managed 6mins in the MRI due to a chesty cough and feeling of being unable to breathe. Guess they took enough pics to find the AN. Guess I may need more scans so the surgeons can decide exactly what's best to do next. I'm actually more scared of the anesthetic... I've never gone under. My symptoms became more noticeable in the last two years... especially during pregnancy. Eventually after seeing things on Google about ANs, I decided to get it checked out. I only have tinnitus, very slight dizziness and hearing loss so hoping it's small. Thanks for reading, very happy to find this forum! 

TexasSprinter

Re: Diagnosed this morning!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 09:00:59 pm »
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but you will find lots of support here on the forum.  Don't worry about the anesthetic--it's just like taking a little nap.  Best of luck on your decision as far as treatment.  (I chose surgery but each person's choice is right for him/her)

iz2014

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 09:18:13 am »
Thanks TexasSprinter, hoping to be given treatment options soon.

v357139

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 07:09:04 pm »
Anesthetic is easy.  One minute you are laying there waiting for it to start, next minute the surgery is over.  Best of luck to you, and let us know what options they present to you.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

iz2014

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 08:40:02 am »
Thanks,

Surgery is definite now. Probably in June/July as AN is 3cm and too big for radiotherapy. Still a bit scared of going under, but trying to reassure myself with the fact that it's just a moment in time for me, and unfortunately a whole day for my family.

Got to have a third MRI of head and now spine too. There are no other tumors in my head and no NF2 in family but as I'm 27 they are testing me for it. I'm more scared of that than surgery.

Just wishing the year away now. Want to be other side of surgery as soon as possible. My little girl starts pre-school in September. I need to be well for that! :)

v357139

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 11:58:30 am »
It's natural to be anxious.  If you were not anxious, you would not be human.  So allow yourself to have some anxiety.  A good thing to do is to keep yourself busy.  Time will pass.  Next thing you know you'll be on the other side.  You'll be smiling as you send your girl off to pre-school in September.  Focus on that positive image.  Best of luck, and keep us posted.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

RAD

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 12:53:31 pm »
Sorry to hear about your news, it will take time but things will move on.  I agree with I others on the anesthesia, just like napping but a real good sleep. I was diagnosis in late April 2014 and scheduled my surgery in June after school was closed.  I wanted my 11 year old daughter to be around and it worked out.  She felt and was very helpful during my initial recovery period.  My wife was also totally focused on my recovery rather than trying to juggle my daughters school, homework at the same time.  Wish you the best!!!

TexasSprinter

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 10:13:49 pm »
iz-2014,
surgery date set yet? 

iz2014

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 06:13:00 am »
Hi

Thanks for asking. Hope you are well.

No date yet. Just had another MRI. This time had spine too. Waiting for NF2 results. Not suspected but tested solely because of age. Waiting and wondering! (Was told op would be in July). Scared!

iz2014

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 03:50:14 pm »
Surgery was scheduled for mid July, it got rescheduled for end if August this morning. Bit disappointed but trying to remain positive. O well.  :-|

It is what it is

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 08:24:53 pm »
My thoughts are with you.  Many of us posties are willing to offer support and answer whatever questions you might have.  With caring,  Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

v357139

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 08:57:10 pm »
Summers are always quick.  Keep busy and end of August will be here before you know it.  Good luck, God bless, and stay in touch.