Author Topic: House Ear Clinic  (Read 4399 times)

ziko_72

House Ear Clinic
« on: June 06, 2005, 02:32:36 pm »
Hi,

I am about to send my MRIs to House Ear Clinic in LA, and they asked me to state which doctor (out of the 9 physicians they have) I want to deal with. I tried to ask which one have done the most surgeries, but they wouldn't answer.

I would like to ask all of you that did surgery over there, which doctor did you choose and why.
And in general, do you know how get I get the number of surgeries each of them did.

I heard that Dr. Brackmann is the most experienced, but that he doesn't do sergeries any more, and just manage the center... is it correct?

Thanks,
Boaz.

Jsoule

Re: House Ear Clinic
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 02:49:07 pm »
Hi Boza, I had surgery September,30TH, 2004 with Dr Brackmann and Dr. Hitzelberger.It would be a shame if Dr Brackmann is no longer practicing, but he was at the age of retirement. All of the physicians at House have lots of experience and I would feel confident with any of them to do surgery. If you call House directly I'm sure they can give you the numbers you are looking for and other information to assist you in getting informed. If I can be of assistance to you in regards to House, surgery, etc. please e-mail me anytime...My surgery was for a 1.7cm tumer. They did the Translab approach and other that slight balance issues and of course the surgery side deafness, my life is as it was.  Sincerely,  Makooda@comcast.net

tumor mom

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 07:07:47 pm »
Hi Boaz,

My 19 year old daughter had surgery at House on March 31st, 2005.  We chose Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz and we were very pleased with all they did to save her facial nerve.  She had a 5cm tumor and had the translab approach.  She is now 9 weeks post op and all that she is dealing with is being tired, and adjusting to the deafness in her left ear. Two weeks after surgery she had some facial paralysis but each week it has gotten better and now if you met her you wouldn't notice it.  The doctors were kind, straightforward, optimistic and we feel did everything in their power to save the facial nerve.

While we were there we met a patient that had Dr. Brackman and Dr. Schwartz so he still may be doing surgery.  Dr. Schwartz is the neurosurgeon and Dr. Friedman the neurotologist - once they receive the MRI they call you within 24 hours and spoke with both my husband and myself for quite some time.  I never felt rushed when talking to them whether on the phone or in person.

I noticed in one of your other posts that you were from Israel - while we were there in March we met a man in his late 20's that was also from Israel - maybe you can get his number or email from the House clinic.  I'm not positive but I think he was the patient that Dr. Brackman operated on.

Hope this information helps - feel free to email me at any time.  Good Luck.

kristin

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 09:22:02 pm »
hi! i had surgery w/ dr brackmann on april 14th of this year and a friend just had hers on may 24th w/ him as well. unless he's retired in the last week, you should be ok! i totally recommend him..i had an 8 mm left AN and have no hearing loss and no facial paralysis.
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

ziko_72

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 04:01:37 am »
Thanks all of you for the responses.

okiesandy

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 10:45:10 pm »
I sent my MRI's to Dr. Brackman 12 days ago. He called me last Sunday. Talked again yesterday. I plan on having Translab. in October. I didn't say a thing about retiring. I think your information was very wrong. He is very comforting to talk to. I have other issues we are trying to clear up.  Autoimmune it looks like. He is working with my doctor here to coordinate treatment and keep what little hearing I have in one ear. Dr. Brackmann has never pushed for this surgery he just said let's see what else is going on first. Sent some very good information on the procedure to me. While I am not looking forward to having my brain picked around in, I do have a lot more confidence in Dr. B. than my surgon here. My doctor is a good man except he hasn't done a lot of these. 20 to 30 in ten years. Dr. Brackmann is very much still in practice and quite up on things. Please send the MRIs to him.  You havn't anything to lose and everything to gain.

sandypaschall@aol.com
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

marcy

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 08:52:20 pm »
Hi,
Had Translab on June 2nd at the House.  I can't say enough wonderful things about Dr. Brackmann.  He is a kind , warm, caring man. 

Marcy