Author Topic: Phonak BiCros so far so good!  (Read 4451 times)

Echo

Phonak BiCros so far so good!
« on: March 18, 2014, 10:51:28 am »
Well I picked up my new Phonak BiCros (AudeoQ50) yesterday.  It's early yet for me to really say much about the experience but I'm amazed at how it's going so far.  First off I'm not SSD.  I can hear noise in my AN ear, but my word discrimination is at 20%.  My good ear is not quite 100%, I've lost high tones in that ear, so I did need some help in boosting the hearing in that ear.  My sister came with me yesterday as we had some additional things to do, and driving home (I was driving), I asked her to speak to me looking straight ahead and then turning her head to look out the passenger window.  I could hear her clearly for the first time in ages!!! We were both surprised and impressed. 

Where I really felt I needed the help was at work.  This morning I'm hearing all kinds of noises that are taking some getting used to.  Paper rustling and others close to me typing on their keyboards are noticeable.  What I've already enjoyed is hearing those others around me more clearly.  I'm not straining to hear conversations or double check that people behind me or beside me are actually speaking to me.

I have to admit that this was a big decision to make.  I wasn't emotionally ready to start wearing a hearing aid, but in less than 24 hours, I'm already glad I'm giving this a chance! 

Cathie.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:20:12 am by Echo »
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

ampeep

Re: Phonak BiCros so far so good!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 10:56:05 am »
Hi Cathie,

Am glad that you're having success with your Phonak BiCros!  Are you using it in your AN ear or the one w/ units in both ears?

The last few days my tinnitus has been really loud, but unlike the last time, I can still hear ok from my AN ear.   Weird.

Anyway, leaving for Japan on Sat.

Bye,
Keith
8/2/13 - diagnosed 1.9 CM right side; 1/13/14 - MRI it got bigger!; 2/10/14 - GK; 8/18/14 - shrinking; 8/17/15 - still shrinking, reduced symptoms

Echo

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 02:30:43 pm »
Hi Keith,

I have the hearing aid portion in my good ear (which isn't 100%) and I have the receiver in my AN ear.  I'm now nearing the end of day 3 and getting more used to it each day. I have very mild tinnitus in my AN ear which normally I'm not aware of during the day, but I have noticed it more today.  Not sure why.  I am also having some mild headaches which I was told is not that uncommon while getting used to using a new hearing aid.  Everything sounds so much louder, more sharp and clear, my brain must be wondering what's going on, it's been so nice and quiet for so long!   :D

Hope you have a safe and fun trip to Japan!
Cathie

ampeep

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 11:29:01 pm »
HI Cathie,

Are these behind-the-ear units or the in-ear ones?

What would you say is the biggest thing you had to get used to w/ the Phonaks?

Thanks; it's just a 1-week trip for work - need to pack tonite.

Take care,
Keith

8/2/13 - diagnosed 1.9 CM right side; 1/13/14 - MRI it got bigger!; 2/10/14 - GK; 8/18/14 - shrinking; 8/17/15 - still shrinking, reduced symptoms

Echo

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:29:10 am »
Hi Keith,

It's the BTE (behind-the-ear) version.  So far the transition has been very smooth.  I had a mild headache for the first 3 days I wore them which disappeared by the fifth day.  I think it was a result of adjusting to having something in the ear canal.  It felt like a mild pressure and one of the retention pieces would feel like it was poking the inside of the ear occasionally.  It's one week today since picking them up, and I can honestly say they are now completely comfortable.  Headaches gone and I'm adjusting quite well.  I hope this continues.

There really hasn't been one big thing to adjust to yet.  I might run into an issue as I continue to try them out in different environments, but so far nothing stands out.  For me the biggest issue was psychological, accepting the fact that I needed them.  At the risk of sounding like a ad for Phonak, the transition has been so smooth and the results so positive that any psychological issues I had have completely dissipated.  I feel like I've gotten back a part of my old self!

Take care and safe travels!!
Cathie

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 05:33:25 pm »
At the risk of sounding like a ad for Phonak, the transition has been so smooth and the results so positive that any psychological issues I had have completely dissipated.  I feel like I've gotten back a part of my old self!

I'm another ad for Phonak.

Wait a few more weeks and then try talking to people with the hearing aids off. That's when you realize what these things do for you.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

ampeep

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 06:11:08 pm »
Hi Cathie/arizonajack,

Since you hear the sound in  your 'good' ear, how does the hearing aid differentiate sounds picked up by your 'AN' ear?   Or does it magically seem as though sound is coming from the 'AN' side?

Just missed the cherry blossoms in Japan!  Was 1 or 2 weeks too early.

Thanks, Keith