Author Topic: what were your symptoms?  (Read 2948 times)

sarah

what were your symptoms?
« on: September 14, 2006, 03:01:00 pm »
Besides the high tone hearing loss and constant tinnitus,  I also seem to have an eustachian tube dysfuntion in BOTH ears.  Sometimes just moving my head, creates both ears to close up on me. My "bad" ear is worse, but the "good" ear gives me problems too. I read that one of the symptoms of an AN is a fullness in the ears. So does that mean in both ears or just the AN ear?  Did any of you have problems with both ears when dealing with your AN symptoms?  Thank you.

Kathleen_Mc

Re: what were your symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 03:54:15 pm »
sarah: pre-operatively I did not notice any issues with my ears or hearing....it was during a nerve conduction test the I learned of my reduced hearing (I think it was at 50%)....then I thought "Oh....I thought everyone had a hard time hearing in bars" (when I thought back this was the only situations in which I had difficulty).
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: what were your symptoms?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 05:17:38 pm »
Hi

I most  definitely had the "ear fullness" thing. Only I didn't know it was called that. I just said, "My ear feels like it needs to 'pop'."  I had that for quite a while. So I went in to the ENT with ear fullness, tinnitus, and after the hearing test, some hearing loss in my left ear. I also told him I had a taste in my mouth...which I thought it might have to do with sinus problems. I didn't describe the taste very good to him.  Now I realize it is the "salty/metallic" taste that some people get. I have not had the ear fullness in my right ear, but I've felt like there was water in my ear and it tickles sometimes as it moves around. Especially at night, when I am laying down. I had that in my left ear also, and still do occasionally.  That may be related to allergies, as I do have that problem to some extent.  My ENT put in a tube, which did not help with the ear fullness, but it did gradually disappear - of that I am grateful. I am glad at least one of my symptoms went away!
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode