Author Topic: Colin L. Driscoll, M.D.; Mayo Clinic  (Read 3852 times)

WiscWahe

• Wait and watch ...
Colin L. Driscoll, M.D.; Mayo Clinic
« on: February 12, 2014, 08:24:53 pm »
I am heading to the Mayo Clinic for a second opinion for my AN.  As of right now I am balancing watch and wait with a middle fossa procedure. I have significant hearing loss in my non-AN ear. So my local doc recommends middle fossa to preserve as much hearing as we can before the growth (only 3mm) causes additional hearing loss in my AN-ear.

Has anyone experienced Mayo and their temperament regarding surgery?

Thx - S
---------------------------------------
3mm AN Growth Detected May 2013
No growth as of Nov 2013
Significant hearing loss in Non-AN Ear
W&W bit considering Middle Fossa

Cheryl R

Re: Colin L. Driscoll, M.D.; Mayo Clinic
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 09:38:38 pm »
You might also check into Univ of Iowa and Dr Bruce Gantz.      Dr Gantz told me he does more mid fossa than Mayo's.      I live in Iowa and he has been my neurotologist with multiple surgeries due to NF2.                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Little_Bear

• Be extraordinary
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 01:28:01 am »
I would also  highly recommend Dr. Rick Friedman at Keck Medical Center of USC, Los Angeles, California.  December 10, 2013, I had a 4mm by 5mm AN completely removed using a Middle Fossa procedure, my hearing and facial preservation was 100 percent after surgery.  Need I say more.  I have recuperated practically symptom free, with just a slight ringing and fullness in my ear, of which I expect to heal in time.  Dr. Friedman will do a phone consultation if you forward him your MRI and report.  Dr. Friedman is world renowned and is the Division Director of Otology, Neurotology and Skull Base Surgery in the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at Keck Medical Center, and is an advocate for Middle Fossa surgery.  He should also be able to advise you on other hearing questions. 

I traveled from out of state to have my surgery done by him, and it was the best decision I ever made.  Below is Dr. Friedman's website.  Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions.

Here is a link to Keck...

http://acousticneuroma.keckmedicine.org/

Frankie

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 12:08:34 pm »
While I agree that Dr. Friedman is a very good doctor, there's no need to travel all the way to California.

Being in Wisconsin, you have very good doctors much closer to you.  There are several in the Chicago area (check the ANA's listings), there is Mayo (as you already know), and Dr. Gantz (suggested by Cheryl R.) is also a wonderful choice.  Michigan has numerous docs who treat ANs and they are very good also.

Lots of people on the Forum will try to tell that HEI and doctors who have vacated HEI are the only way to go if you have an AN, but that's just not true.  Lots of us have gone to other docs and have outcomes that are just as good, or better.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways