Author Topic: Re: New Diagnosis  (Read 4895 times)

califmom

Re: New Diagnosis
« on: February 12, 2014, 11:54:23 am »
Hi everybody,

I just diagnosed with AN 10mm. I live in los angeles. I have decided on surgery. Very Nervous. Could you please suggest the name of a good doctor. Thank You

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

califmom

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:10:14 pm »
Thank you! Is there a specific Dr. that you would recommend ?

Bobthebuilder

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 08:44:05 pm »
Perhaps the most well know and certainly one of the most respected clinics in the country is located in your city.  House Ear Institute is the destination for many of us from around the country.  All of their doctors are good, but I have chosen Dr. Slattery and Dr. Schwartz.  They perform micro surgery as a team, one does the opening and sort of creates the path then the surgeon (Schwartz) debulks the tumor.  One of the Drs. who was on what many considered the dream team was Rick Friedman.  He recently moved to USC where he is head of the AN department.  My only concern with the move is that he is has a new partner, he may be great, but I wasn't convinced he has performed the procedure often enough recently to satisfy me.  Everyone will tell you "go where they do a lot of these procedures and don't hesitate to ask for a breakdown of their results".  You may want to contact both institutions and ask them whether they are willing to look at your MRI and hearing test for an opinion, both will usually do it at no cost. 

On a personal note, I was diagnosed on July 29, 2013 with a 2.3 cm AN.  After much research and soul searching I have set a date for surgery.  I will leave from my home in Clifton, Va. On Tuesday of this week and under go surgery at St. Vincent Medical Center (House Does their work there).  Surgery is scheduled for Thursday February 20, that is "this week" yikes!   I am a little nervous, but as you will soon learn, I have given myself the best possible chance for a positive out come by choosing House and a great team of doctors and support staff.  All the best to you in your AN journey!

Little_Bear

• Be extraordinary
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 12:42:55 am »
Yes, run, don't walk, and see only Dr. Rick Friedman at Keck Medical Center of USC, LA.  You have the best, and world renowned for treating ANs, right in your backyard.  I traveled to Los Angeles for surgery with Dr. Friedman and Dr. Giannotta on December 10, 2013.  My AN was 4mm by 5mm.  The AN was completely removed, and my hearing and facial nerves were preserved 100 percent.  I was in the hospital for 2 days, stayed an additional week in a hotel to wait for my post op visit, and flew home to Spokane, WA that same afternoon.  It will be 3 months, March 10, and I have recuperated practically symptom free, except for a mild ringing and slight fullness in my ear, of which I believe will heal in time.   Dr's. Friedman and Giannotta gave me my life back.  I understand it's a huge decision, but do consult with Dr. Friedman and receive his expert opinion for your AN treatment, and at the same time, absorb his calming and comforting reassurance about your condition that comes from his years of experience.  Keck Hospital too, is a center of excellence. 

I hope my experience and recommendation gives you some direction.  If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Here is a link to Keck...

http://acousticneuroma.keckmedicine.org/

Frankie

MikeW

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 10:07:09 am »
My husband just had revision translab on a 3.4cm AN by Dr. Marc Schwartz and William Slattery at the house clinic.  He had translab surgery a year ago in Omaha NE and the doctors only got 10% of the tumor because it was "too difficult" to remove.  After Mike's surgery in Omaha, his facial nerve was stressed and took months to recover.  The House doctors got 98% of the tumor and Mike's face is better than it was before the surgery.  I cannot emphasize enough how amazing the doctors are at the House Clinic.  We are thrilled and I highly recommend the House Clinic.  I hope all goes will for you.  You are lucky to be in LA where the best doctors are for ANs.  I would ask Dr. Giannotta how many AN surgeries he has done.  I know Dr. Friedman has a lot of experience on ANs and I know Dr. Giannotta is a great neurosurgeon, but I am not sure how much experience Dr. Giannotta has had on ANs.  Mike's surgery was so tough because of all of the scar tissue from his surgery in Omaha.  I am so thankful for the House Clinic doctors.
7-18-12 MRI 2cm AN, 100% loss of useful hearing and some balance issues.
12-20-12 Translab only removed 10% of tumor, slow recovery of facial nerve
9 month post op MRI 2.6cm
1-23-14 Revision Translab on 3.4cm AN at House Clinic.  They removed 98% of tumor and facial nerve not damaged. We're thrilled

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 11:57:12 am »
Dr. Chang - Stanford.

And not to question your treatment choice, but did you look into radiation?  With an AN of 10 mms it might be the way to go; I hope you at least checked it out.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

califmom

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 06:02:33 pm »
Thank you so much everybody for your kind input.