Author Topic: MRIs and dental metal  (Read 45358 times)

Nuttyneddy

MRIs and dental metal
« on: February 06, 2014, 09:03:10 am »
What is the situation regarding metal in your mouth and a head MRI?  I know I will have to take off my jewellery and not wear clothes with metal fasteners (I'm assuming just on the top half of my body?) but I have several pieces of metal in my teeth - mercury amalgam fillings which I assume are OK because they are so common, but also a crown with a metal post and a fairly new Maryland bridge which is attached to the next-door tooth with a metal wing.

Will they be a problem? I don't want to break the machine, or send sparks flying or anything!

Alison

Re: MRIs and dental metal
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 09:22:45 am »
Hi again. Dental metal is fine, my teeth are full of it!

No metal on clothes at all, I have a natty pineapple track suit and bra with no metal for MRIs otherwise you have to wear a hospital gown. They do a checklist beforehand for any metal body parts, ie pacemaker etc.

Alison x
CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 09:34:08 am »
No metal at all on clothes? Wow, I'm glad I asked!  I'm not sure I even possess trousers with no metal (apart from pyjama bottoms LOL!) I guess I can go without a bra for the duration.

Good to know that a mouthful of fillings is OK though  ;D  And the bridge, which I only just got (£££££ even on the NHS).  I think dentists used to be a bit trigger-happy with the fillings when we were young, neither of my kids (in their twenties now) ever had a single one and I've got loads!

Thanks for the info  8)

Islandgirl

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 02:06:52 pm »
I have the same sort of dental work but also I have always had underwired bra and metal button on jeans when I have had an mri and no one has asked me to change into a gown at all. They let you have a little locker usually and you put money, keys, jewellery such as chains and watches in there while you have the mri.  Never had to take wedding ring off either.  Funny how it differs.

Alison

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 03:05:31 am »
Hi Isaland girl and nn,

I always wondered why each centre has said no metal allowed anywhere yet its only the head and chest in the MRI machine. Also wondered why amalgam in fillings is allowed. Next time I'll ask as don't like travelling to the hospital in track bottoms! And yes nn the dentists filled our mouths with fillings willy nilly as kids. Not meant to be good for us either!

Alison x
CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 03:19:32 am »
I've remembered I've got some linen trousers with a tie belt, so they'll do in case.  Better than pjs anyway  ;D  And a bikini top instead of a bra - sorted.

I wondered if the fillings were OK because they aren't iron or steel?  It might be only magnetic metals that are a problem  ???

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 05:59:42 am »
Well I've received the letter from the hospital this morning (very grateful!) and it says no metal fasteners etc - and no eye makeup which was a surprise.  Maybe some scanners are different from others and that affects whether you can wear jeans with zips?  This is an open scanner if that makes any difference.  Not that I mind, although I do get claustrophobic I'm sure I can control my thoughts long enough for the scan to take place.  I'm just desperate to get to the bottom of why it feels like I'm living in the engine room of a ship.

Alison

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 09:17:24 am »
Hi nn,
great you have the apt on the 24th. Maybe saying you'd go private made them realise you are serious about this and they didn't want to look neglectful IF it is an AN? Hopefully its not.

Loved your description of being in an engine room of a ship!

Open scanners are pretty rare, I've never seen one. If it is a real open one, you won't be enclosed or feel claustrophobic. Odd about the metal issue though and that we get conflicting info, but par for the course.

Good luck!

Alison x

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 11:05:53 am »
The way the doctor described it was that it was open at the sides, doesn't sound too bad http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/7937099.stm

I've never actually been in the engine room of a ship btw, but I thought the combination of unsteadiness and noise would be similar. And nausea, worse luck  :( 

I remember reading on this forum how you could get the pictures of your MRI, I'll have to find that again.

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 02:14:03 pm »
Well, the scan is done.  No contrast, which I don't know if it is a good thing or a bad thing  ???  Do they not use it if they see a huge thing and they don't need it, or not use it because they don't see anything?  I guess time will tell!

Man, those machines are noisy!  Still, the sounds were quite sci fi, and the rhythmic ones were quite pleasant  :)  I was so tired by 5pm that it was nice to rest for 40 minutes even if it was with my head strapped into a cage  ;)  The hardest thing was finding clothes without metal, I did end up wearing my pyjama bottoms!

Results should be about two weeks, which isn't too bad.   

Alison

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 02:18:15 am »
Hi nn/Fiona

glad you've had the scan, 40 mins sounds like a pretty comprehensive one (my first one was about 30 mins but the last two were only ten mins, maybe that is because they know what they are looking for, or because they are newer machines?).

To dye or not to dye that is the question. There is always a debate on here about contrast! All I can say is I didn't have it for my first MRI and it picked it up. Didn't have it for the last two and was told by the neurologist last week at my apt that contrast not needed these days. I know many on here would dispute that!

If you don't want to wait two weeks, you may find your GP has the scan on his system already, but the report from the radiologist may take longer. Are you going to your GP for the results?

Hope its good news. Let us know,

Alison x

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 04:58:48 am »
GPs say they should have the results if I ring on Friday, so fingers crossed.

I will let you know, you guys have been wonderful support.  I was thinking, that maybe it would be useful for posts from people who were unsure and then had a negative diagnosis for AN to be moved to a board kept for that situation?  Then if people like me come looking, we can easily see how common it is to be worried and find out you don't have an AN.  Just an idea...

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 06:44:47 am »
Well, the good news is that the MRI came back normal  8)

(I had to ring the surgery for something else, so I asked on the offchance!)

Not sure where this leaves me regarding the symptoms, perhaps I'm just wearing out? I thought I was too young for that.  Hopefully the other ear doesn't wear out too!  Strange mix of emotions though - having been scared that they would find something horrible, now I'm a little disappointed that they didn't find anything at all to help explain it.  I guess I want something to blame, it's a bit odd thinking such things can just happen out of the blue for no reason.

Thank you all for your support and advice, you are a very knowledgeable and kind bunch of people.  I wish you all the best luck for the future.

I asked about a copy of the pictures btw and they want £50 so perhaps I'll not bother.  That's a week's groceries for us, so not a small amount.

Alison

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 08:06:50 am »
Hi nn/Fiona,

Great news, hope they do find out whats wrong though.

Alison x