Author Topic: Anxious about upcoming Surgery  (Read 3947 times)

KLBMomof3

Anxious about upcoming Surgery
« on: February 04, 2014, 03:47:39 pm »
This is my first post... I am a 31 mom of three young sons (4,2, and 4 months). I was diagnosed in November with a 15mm neuroma and elected to have surgery to hopefully put it behind me. My surgery (retrosigmoid) is scheduled for February 28 with Dr. Arriaga in Louisiana. As the date approaches, I find myself experiencing mood swings. One moment I feel like I am overanalyzing the risks, and the next moment I feel terrified of the procedure and potential outcomes. Mainly, I get terrified of becoming incapacitated such that I can no longer be there for my babies or my husband.  I was wondering if any one has had post-surgery experience with caring for children, or even just being around the children (with help from husband and my mom)?  Also, some advice on how to stay strong as the big day approaches, b/c right now I feel like I need to write letters to all of my loved ones in case the worst happens! Thank you so much in advance and look forward to talking more with you all!

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Anxious about upcoming Surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 11:29:01 am »
Modern medicine is a wonderful thing. Micro surgery is OUR saving grace and anxiety is the bane of mankind. Believe me, your anxiety is far worse than the surgery. Let's try to get you on the right track. You are young, and healthy enough to have young children. You have a husband AND a loving mother to help you recover. You are fortunate to have all of this going for you...youth, health, husband, mom, and modern medicine.

And you have US. We will help you through this.

James

LakeErie

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:29:18 pm »
The risk of the "worst happening" is remote with the advances in surgical technique. Complications of the surgery are common, but most improve with time and patience. For complications that do not improve there are medical ways to address the issues, and we also soon adapt to any problems. With a relatively smaller tumor like yours, your chances  are good that any complications that may arise will be minimal.
Recovery is an individual process, but you will recover. Patience can be required, you can only recover as quickly as your body permits. Try to take the coming days one at a time, and it will be the day after surgery before you know it. Good luck.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

kmr1969

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 07:08:51 pm »
KLB,

Congratulations on making your decision.  While many people told me that I would feel this huge sense of relief after I made my treatment decision and choose my doctor, I never did.  While I was confident with both the decision and the doctors, I never got over the anxiety of surgery. Sounds like you are in the same place.

I can tell you from my experience that the anxiety was worse than the actual experience.  Not that it wasn't difficult to walk into the hospital that day and not that my recovery was easy, but the sense of relief after the surgery was amazingly positive.

Do your best to stay busy over the next few weeks. With small kids you have plenty to plan and prepare because you will need several weeks after surgery to recover.  Plan ahead what you can now in terms of meals, carpools, etc.  But, with the same luck that I had within 2 weeks of surgery you will be back home and while you won't be driving you will be able to be a parent.

Don't assume the worst and try and do things with your kids now to have fun and keep yourself positive.

Best wishes to you on a very successful surgery and a speedy and mom friendly recovery,

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 09:41:29 pm »
Your everyday life sounds full to begin with and now you have all these other worries and thoughts. I felt the need to update my Will, give instructions to family etc. I felt better feeling like I expected the best, but was prepared for something less! Suprise I got the best, and am so glad to be done with the tumor. I had excellent results and recovery from translab. I think your kids will be motivating as you have a rich life to get back too! Good luck!