Author Topic: The Recent Numbers of Surgery done by Slaterry, Jackler, Blevins, Gianotta,Nipar  (Read 4716 times)

newan1

Hi Folks,

These are all great doctors : Slaterry, Jackler, Blevins, Gianotta,Niparko, Harsh, Friedman.

Can you share with us if you have the number of AN surgery each of these doctors did from 2010-2013.

I don't want to go with the number they did
since day one since recent numbers matters the most.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

v357139

I don't think anyone has this.  Slattery told me he's been doing 2 a week for more than a few years.  That is a good question to ask each of them when you speak to them.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Ray ~

The information you are seeking is certainly relevant but not publicly available.  Asking the surgeon, specifically, how many AN surgeries he has performed is your best way to secure the information.  However, I would be equally interested in learning about the outcomes - the patient's quality of life post surgery.  Vague generalizations won't do.  Ask for specifics.  You have every right to want such information but of course, how the doctors choose to respond is up to them.  Some may be very forthcoming, some may be less so and it's possible some might be insulted by your probing.  That is your signal to dismiss any further consideration of that particular doctor.

I wish you much success.

Jim 

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Briec

I think that asking this question is important however, the moderator puts it best: outcomes and statistics are most important. I was surprised to learn that some people have suffered the fate of death from one of the aforementioned doctors and you have EVERY RIGHT TO KNOW!
I have insecurities...of course...but I don't hang out with anyone who points them out to me!

newan1

Blevins
10-20 RS per year

Schwartz
2 - every week on average RS/MF/TL

Slattery 
2 - every week on average RS/MF/TL

v357139

Experience is very important.  And as the others said, so are outcomes, and you have a right to know their track record.  Schwartz gave me very detailed statistics of his results for the last 10 years.  No one else did, which is another reason I picked him..  PM me if you want that info..  You can ask him the same question for tumor your size - how many of his patients had long term facial preservation, which I define as House Brackmann II or better.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

MikeW

My husband just had revision translab on a 3.4cm AN by Dr. Marc Schwartz and William Slattery at the house clinic.  He had translab surgery a year ago in Omaha NE and the doctors only got 10% of the tumor because it was "too difficult" to remove.  After Mike's surgery in Omaha, his facial nerve was stressed and took months to recover.  The House doctors got 98% of the tumor and Mike's face is better than it has been in a few years.  I cannot emphasize enough how amazing the doctors are at the House Clinic.  We are thrilled and I highly recommend the House Clinic.  I would ask Dr. Giannotta how many AN surgeries he has done.  I know Dr. Friedman has a lot of experience on ANs and I know Dr. Giannotta is a great neurosurgeon, but I am not sure how much experience Dr. Giannotta has had on ANs.  Mike's surgery was so tough because of all of the scar tissue from his surgery in Omaha.  I am so thankful for the House Clinic doctors.  Dr. Schwartz is the only doctor that has ever given me a direct number when I asked "How many Revision Translab surgeries have you done on ANs"  He has done 48 revisions surgeries.  Most if not all of Dr. Schwartz 's revision surgeries are on patients who had their first surgeries unsuccessfully done by other doctors which was our experience.
7-18-12 MRI 2cm AN, 100% loss of useful hearing and some balance issues.
12-20-12 Translab only removed 10% of tumor, slow recovery of facial nerve
9 month post op MRI 2.6cm
1-23-14 Revision Translab on 3.4cm AN at House Clinic.  They removed 98% of tumor and facial nerve not damaged. We're thrilled