Author Topic: +5 years update  (Read 3801 times)

texsooner

+5 years update
« on: January 23, 2014, 03:26:17 pm »
Hi folks. Haven't posted anything on here for a long time, but check in every now and then to read some posts. I just wanted to pass a note about my post AN progress in hopes it might help others to see a positive outcome long after having surgery.

As title mentions, I had my 3.5 cm AN re-sected via retro-sigmoid surgery over 5 years ago.

Yes, I am deaf one on side as a result of my surgery, but my hearing is great on the other side and I function very well in social and professional settings. Very few people outside of family and close friends know that I am SSD. I have continued to work effectively in an office environment for the entire time since just a few weeks after my AN surgery.

Yes, I have strong/constant tinnitus on the AN side, but I've learned to block it out most of the time and won't let it negatively impact my quality of life.

Yes, I have balance issues sometimes (especially in dark places, like movie theaters), but I do pretty well otherwise. I just completed my 4th Houston marathon since my surgery and have done 2 others and several half marathons. I also do a lot of long distance road biking.

Yes, I have some difficulty with hearing in loud places sometimes, but I think there a lot of stereo  :) hearing folks that have the same problem.

Yes, I have had a dry eye (no tears) on my AN side the entire time, but 1 or 2 drops of Refresh Celluvisc per day is all I need.

Yes, I have slight facial weakness on my AN side, but it's really only noticeable by me.
////////////////////////////////////////////

Just had my annual check up with my neurotologist (after also doing an MRI). He said MRI looks pretty good and won't be doing another one for a couple years. He said he still sees small things that is likely scar tissue, but still wants to make sure there is no significant re-growth of an AN. He thinks overall that I'm doing great.

I'll admit to not following this forum closely in the last couple of years, but I know that when I was, there were proportionally a lot more posts from folks with complications (which is understandable) than there were from people like me with relatively minor issues, or none at all. I am very grateful for my positive outcome and just want to give hope to others that they can have the same or even better. 

I'm lucky enough to be able to consider early retirement (in my mid-50's) within the next year, so that I can do some things I've always wanted to do, and on my own time. Probably many of you (my wife is one of them, ha) would think that one of those things I want to do is a little crazy.......I want to complete an offical Ironman triathlon (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, and full 26.2 mile marathon within a 17 hour time limit). I know I can do the running and the biking, but need to work on the long distance swimming, and then work on doing all three of those things in the same day. I figure that if I'm really serious about it, I better get after training for it before I get too much older.

I also want say thanks to some dedicated people on this forum (Jim, Jan, Clarice and many others) that give their time and support to help people with concerns, doubts and questions, even though they themselves have had their AN procedures many years ago. You folks are very much appreciated. 

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: +5 years update
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 05:07:24 pm »
Patrick ~

Thanks for the five-year update and definite kudos on your outstanding recovery and your adaptation to being SSD as well as contemplating competing in the Ironman Triathlon, which is daunting.

Your message is not only encouraging but downright inspirational.  That you took the time to post it, realizing that this forum often is not overloaded with positive stories, indicates an astute understanding of why the forums exist. 

Your message is appreciated and I hope there are more to come.  Let us know how the triathlon training works out.  Thanks!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

TexasSprinter

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 10:15:15 pm »
Thanks for the update on the positive outcome.  Always good to hear the good news, too.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 06:05:20 pm »
Thanks for the update, Patrick.

Sounds like things are pretty positive in your world  ;D

As for retirement - go for it and enjoy every minute!  Wish I were you!

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways