Author Topic: translabyrinthine approach verses retro sigmoid on a 2.5 AN?  (Read 7068 times)

bbadhunt

translabyrinthine approach verses retro sigmoid on a 2.5 AN?
« on: January 08, 2014, 11:08:46 am »
I have been diagnosed with a 2.5 AN.  I have partial facial and tongue numbness, balance issues, and fairly good hearing still in my right ear. Wondering which surgeons on the west coast anyone has gone to within the last few years to have surgery?  And which approach they have used  Translabyrinthine or Retro Sigmoid?  What success or issues you have had would be most helpful.  What to expect post operation? And are you able to lead a normal life after how many months including sports.  I am a runner, tennis player, bike rider and hope to resume these activities

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
Re: translabyrinthine approach verses retro sigmoid on a 2.5 AN?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:56:32 pm »
I had translab due to significant hearing loss at House with Dr Brackmann and Schwartz 4wks ago. Some tongue numbness, otherwise at least as good as I was preop. I had confidence in my care and surgeons, and have had a wonderful recovery. I'm walking 5+miles a day, going to get on and off one of my horses tomorrow just to check out balance issues. I have found any issues I have encountered are improved with practice. (such as looking over my shoulder while walking, and walking with my eyes closed) I am a motivated outdoorswomen and FT professional and don't plan on giving my life up. I take a few additional rest periods and am happy I had the surgery. Challenges are expected here and there! Good luck, highly recommend my surgeons.
Karen

v357139

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 10:39:43 pm »
I also went to House, had Dr Slattery and Schwartz, great result.  Had 3.5cm with translab removal.  I flew from NY and recommend them highly.

At my original 2.7cm diagnosis and still decent hearing, some docs proposed translab (destroys hearing).  Others proposed retrosig, but gave a very low chance to save hearing, they just preferred that method.  Very important to pick a team with lots of experience in the method they propose, who give you the best chance for facial preservation and getting your balance back, with minimal complications.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

bbadhunt

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 10:31:07 am »
I wanted to update everyone on my outcome.  I had my trans lab surgery on Febrary 13 at the House Clinic with Slattery/Schwartz. Everything went exceptional, from the beginning consult through the discharge appt.  After much deliberation I am so grateful that I made this decision.  The teams made me feel as though I was special even though I know they have done so many surgeries and have had many patients.   I arrived on the previous day Wed for a full day of pre op Dr and hospital appts  Thursday arrived early at hospital, surgery began approx 730-8am and lasted until 330-4pm   I went to ICU for 24 hours, On Friday 4pm I was moved to a standard hospital room.  Friday I got out of bed sat in a chair, Saturday walked around the nurses station once, Sunday walked around the floor and was released Monday to the adjoining Seton Hall Guest center to continue to rehab and recover for the remaining week.  One week following surgery I  had my post op appts and was cleared to go home.  I returned home flying, yesterday Feb 24.  Other than being fatigued I feel good   I remaining actively walking each day which makes me feel so much better ( the walking improves each day and helps with balance and dizziness)  The only remaining symptoms from before surgery is a right  numb tongue.  All facial preservation is intact.  Very happy and I am certain over time will continue to improve and get stronger.  Blessed and grateful!!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 01:44:53 pm »
I wanted to update everyone on my outcome.  I had my trans lab surgery on Febrary 13 at the House Clinic with Slattery/Schwartz. Everything went exceptional, from the beginning consult through the discharge appt.  After much deliberation I am so grateful that I made this decision.  The teams made me feel as though I was special even though I know they have done so many surgeries and have had many patients.   I arrived on the previous day Wed for a full day of pre op Dr and hospital appts  Thursday arrived early at hospital, surgery began approx 730-8am and lasted until 330-4pm   I went to ICU for 24 hours, On Friday 4pm I was moved to a standard hospital room.  Friday I got out of bed sat in a chair, Saturday walked around the nurses station once, Sunday walked around the floor and was released Monday to the adjoining Seton Hall Guest center to continue to rehab and recover for the remaining week.  One week following surgery I  had my post op appts and was cleared to go home.  I returned home flying, yesterday Feb 24.  Other than being fatigued I feel good   I remaining actively walking each day which makes me feel so much better ( the walking improves each day and helps with balance and dizziness)  The only remaining symptoms from before surgery is a right  numb tongue.  All facial preservation is intact.  Very happy and I am certain over time will continue to improve and get stronger.  Blessed and grateful!!!

Congratulations on a successful AN surgery at HEI and now, what seems to be a good recovery.  Thanks for sharing your good news with folks who can really appreciate it! 

Please try to keep us updated.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

v357139

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 02:44:44 pm »
My congratulations also.  As a fellow  House alum, I know how good they are.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!