Author Topic: My House Experience  (Read 4553 times)

v357139

My House Experience
« on: January 04, 2014, 07:26:25 pm »
Just wanted to report on my experience at the House Clinic.  I had a 3.5cm AN removed via translab.  I am now about six weeks post op, and doing great with no major issues.  I recommend House as an EXCELLENT choice.

I had 99.5% tumor removal, no permanent facial issues, and no headaches or nausea past day 5.  Balance was off initially due to cutting balance nerve, but is now quite good.  I am driving, and doing more and more each day.

Nurses and aides were also excellent – very nice people.  Rarely did I wait more than a minute for them to answer the call bell.  And they were routinely friendly and upbeat.  And then it was great being right there at the Seton guest center until we went home.  The camaraderie with other pre and post-op patients at Seton was a real plus.

I would not say it is the only place to go.  I saw many top doctors at other top hospitals.  But I can certainly say it is an EXCELLENT choice.  They have so much experience there.  The travel turned out to be no big deal at all, and my wife and I are very glad we made the trip from NY.  It was well worth it!!!

PS: Prior to surgery I struggled for months with terrible anxiety over my decision.  Dr Slattery was very patient over quite a few phone calls.  He answered all my questions thorougly, and was never the least bit impatient.  He and Dr Schwartz were very knowledgeable, but also very friendly and reassuring – this was very helpful to someone like me who was really struggling with the decision.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

clere

Re: My House Experience
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 07:51:35 pm »
Thank you for continuing to post.  I am scheduled for surgery Jan. 16 with the same doctors and I am about to have a nervous breakdown! I continue to second guess myself and have even considered canceling. I know from reading your previous posts that you also really struggled with your decision.  I  hope your recovery continues to go well!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:06:06 pm by clere »

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 08:54:35 pm »
I'm glad to hear everything went well for you  ;)
House is a wonderful place to go. I had Dr. Friedman / Schwartz. Dr. Schwartz is very well respected. I'm still saddened that Dr. Friedman moved on, but only to better things. He too is very respected.
May your recovery be good & please keep us posted.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 02:15:27 pm »
v357139 ~

Sincere congratulations on your splendid surgery outcome at HEI!  Thanks too, for letting us know about it.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 09:16:36 pm »
I would not say it is the only place to go.  I saw many top doctors at other top hospitals.  But I can certainly say it is an EXCELLENT choice. 

I agree 100%.  Had my surgery elsewhere; 100% removal, very minimal side-effects, excellent outcome.

Sounds like you are recovering well - great news!   ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 10:18:06 pm »
Its so nice to have surgery over with and on to recovery! The House staff were wonderful, hospital was also!
Karen

v357139

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 09:18:35 pm »
Thank you for continuing to post.  I am scheduled for surgery Jan. 16 with the same doctors and I am about to have a nervous breakdown! I continue to second guess myself and have even considered canceling. I know from reading your previous posts that you also really struggled with your decision.  I  hope your recovery continues to go well!

Clere,
I was just thinking about you.  I understand your worry.  I had it in spades, and I know how it feels.  Feel free to PM me if you want to talk or email.  Just think, you are going to one of the top places in the world for acoustic neuroma - that's about as good as it gets.  I am so glad I went, and I am so glad it is now done.  Hang in there. Soon you will be done, and the worry will be gone.  Focus on how good that will be.
Rich
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

v357139

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 09:31:36 pm »
I'm glad to hear everything went well for you  ;)
House is a wonderful place to go. I had Dr. Friedman / Schwartz. Dr. Schwartz is very well respected. I'm still saddened that Dr. Friedman moved on, but only to better things. He too is very respected.
May your recovery be good & please keep us posted.

Mindy

Mindy,
I also initially started with Friedman until he left - thats how long I took ;D  I wanted to stay at House.  Dr Slattery has been excellent.  Very knowledgeable, and very patient.  Great result.  I am glad I picked him.  Of course Schwartz is excellent as well.
Rich

Seal

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 05:17:32 pm »
Rich,

I just came across your update, and congratulations on a successful outcome.    I remember that you considered the Barker/McKenna team at MGH that did a fantastic job for me, but House is the tops when it comes to the AN business.    I believe that McKenna originally trained at House as well as many other AN surgeons.      With only six months gone, you will still have alot of great progess to come as everything heals, but things sound like they are going great.    I am five years out now from my AN, and life is good!   

Best regards,
Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

v357139

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 08:14:27 pm »
Thanks so much Steve.  I remember you helping me.  I really appreciated it then and thanks now for the congrats.  So glad its over.  I almost went with them, but they wanted to do retrosig and House wanted translab.  Translab just made more sense to me.  Just another one of those personal choices we all had to make.  I get up to Boston once in a while, maybe I'll PM you next time I am going.