Author Topic: Medicare Insurance Coverage and treatment options  (Read 13402 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Medicare Insurance Coverage and treatment options
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 03:21:39 pm »
Rod ~

An annual MRI is typical in W&W cases, assuming your symptoms don't increase.  Using that time frame you should schedule the next scan for January, 2015.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

john1455

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 04:48:13 pm »
Rod, one usually waits 6 months for the next MRI and if there is no sign of change, then yearly. One thing to keep in mind, however, Dr Chang says the absence of symptoms or any worsening of symptoms does not necessarily mean change is or is not taking place. A non growing tumor can cause just as much problems as a growing one and a growing one may be aymptomatic. Since most ANs are slow growing, it is often safe to wait for annual followups but these critters are sometimes unpredictable so a certain amount of risk is always involved.
Diagnosed with 19x16x19mm cystic AN right side on 7/2013
MRI on 3/2014 showed AN increased to 21x20mm
right side 70% hearing loss, tinnitus, balance issues
CK at Stanford completed 3/21/2014 (3 sessions)
Dr Steven Chang and Dr Iris Gibbs

Sheryl

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 05:38:42 pm »
Rod - I have been on W&W for 12-1/2 years and asked my doctor at a highly regarded hospital in Boston if I could extend (rather than yearly) my MRI's as I've had such a good track record.  He said these types of tumors are unpredictable, and I could have a large growth spurt.  Also, there may be no symptoms to go along with the growth spurt. 

Keep us posted,
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

rodneyd

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 11:07:32 am »
Thank you so much for all who posted about my insurance question.

My Radiation gal at Swedish Medical Center in Seattle is recommending the first MRI be at 6 months, which would be around July, 2014.  I will be setting it up and will keep everyone posted as to the results.

Your thoughts and prayers were so supportive and gave me some peace with my W & W decision. 

rodneyd
74year old male, 8.3x7.3x6.5 mm AN on 10-28-13.  MRI on 12-30-13 showed no growth.  Imbalance issues and mild tinnitus.  MRI on July 13, 2014 showed no growth.  Still on W & W and taking baby-aspirin regimen.  MRI in July, 2016 show slow growth (1.1 cm).  MRI on July 24, 2017 was 8.2 x 8.6 x 8 mm!