Author Topic: Exactly a Month after my retrosigmoid surgery - help needed  (Read 4240 times)

vthiru1

Exactly a Month after my retrosigmoid surgery - help needed
« on: December 17, 2013, 01:10:45 pm »
Friends,

I have successfully a completed a month after my surgery(not long though and still early days) and recovering pretty good. I had my AN surgery on Nov 18th to remove 3.2 cm tumor and currently SSD on my left ear. Though recovery has been pretty good, no headaches any more, I have some kind of dizziness on my head, nothing is spinning and my balance is really good. Its pretty hard to define the dizziness felling(i don't know if its wonky head or vertigo or light headed), It feels like the dizziness we have after a shot of tequila or some alcohol(sorry this is the best possible description am able to give). I consulted this with my surgeon yesterday and he said this will improve over time. But my concern is that am I doing right the right treatment to overcome this??. am doing my walking,  physical therapy and vestibular exercises(walking with looking up/down and onto sides) regularly and able to walk in a straight line and absolutely no issues with my balancing(as per my knowledge). If any of you have the same symptoms, could you please let me know how to overcome this and what therapies i should take? Thanks for your time.

LakeErie

Re: Exactly a Month after my retrosigmoid surgery - help needed
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 02:40:56 pm »
Everyone recovers at his/her own pace. I had symptoms similar to what you describe for exactly 7 months following my surgery. Now at just over 2 years I still, occasionally, experience the feeling of disorientation a few minutes at a time.
I simple walked several times a day moving my head right, left, up and down, walked figure eight patterns, and made certain I did not sit too long at any one time. Gradually things improved and today I am much better.
My only suggestion is to keep on doing what you are and try to be patient. You cannot recover faster than your body lets you. It is also important to get enough rest through the day, it was for me anyway. Good luck.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 03:52:10 pm »
Recovery takes time - everyone is different - and you aren't that far post op yet.  Give it time and listen to your body.   You'll get "there".

Patience  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

TexasSprinter

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 09:52:37 pm »
vthiru1--I lost my right side balance nerve and hearing nerve during my first AN surgery one year ago. I completely "get" what you are saying about the strange feeling you are describing. My best guess is that it took 3-4 months before that feeling went away, slowly but surely. Keep walking and things will get better soon. Best of luck to you.