Author Topic: small AN and removals  (Read 15184 times)

macdonalddobies

small AN and removals
« on: December 16, 2013, 03:55:54 pm »
I was just wondering if anyone on here had a smaller AN, say between 3-7mm, but their symptoms were bad ( balance, dizziness,etc.) that they had it removed? Just wondering how long you waited and what prompted you to do the surgery? and what was the outcome?

Thanks,
3mm AN in Internal Auditory Canal
-dizziness
-visual issues
-slight high frequency hearing loss
Currently in W&W

clere

Re: small AN and removals
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 07:53:24 pm »
I have a smaller size AN, around 6mm.  It has about doubled in size over the last 5 years. It was contained inside the cochlea but has now grown out of that area and I am worried it will start causing more problems if not addressed. I have had no or very little hearing in the AN ear for about 5 years.  I had several bouts of vertigo probably 8 or so years ago, none since.  I have noticed facial twinges, a tighter feeling on the AN face side, etc. I am having it removed Jan. 16, 2014 at HEI, with Drs. Slattery and Schwartz. 

MG

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 05:22:11 am »
Thoughts and prayers are with you Clere, for a speedy recovery.

Take good care,
MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 10:06:07 am »
I had a 1cm removed dec 11th. I had lost most recognizable hearing rapidly and had balance issues. I decided to have surgery because I am 55yrs, live alone, am healthy, traveled to House for surgery. I work fulltime and have a busy horsey recreational life and small farm. I have 2 daughters getting married next year. I did not want to be 2 weeks before a wedding or horse trip and suddenly have facial symptoms or problems to throw me! Sometimes tumor size isn't the best predictor of future changes. After 1 rocky post op day my recover has overwhelmingly positive! I wanted to have some control over when I would face challenges, which for me was the right decision. I think there are so many things to consider that are individual preferences. Karen

Derek

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 03:01:56 pm »
Very best wishes for a successful outcome January 16th Clere and hopefully the Christmas Hols period will be a peaceful time for you.

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

clere

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 08:29:00 pm »
Derek and MG...thank you for the well wishes. 
And thanks to everyone else on this forum also. 

macdonalddobies

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 09:03:54 am »
I appreciate all the responses. It has just been hard. Besides the balance and feelings of nausea, I think I could deal with things. I am just not living my life to the fullest anymore and I am only 31. I am terrified of surgery and really don't know what to expect as an outcome. I have heard people say that you still have dizziness.
-dizziness
-visual issues
Currently in W&W

macdonalddobies

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 09:24:59 am »
Best of luck Clere. What approach are they doing for you?
-dizziness
-visual issues
Currently in W&W

Derek

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 09:44:00 am »
I appreciate all the responses. It has just been hard. Besides the balance and feelings of nausea, I think I could deal with things. I am just not living my life to the fullest anymore and I am only 31. I am terrified of surgery and really don't know what to expect as an outcome. I have heard people say that you still have dizziness.

Hi there 'Mac'...

Really sorry that you have been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma at such a relatively young age. Your present symptoms with such a small tumour are not uncommon but on the plus side you do have time on your side to carry out your fullest research into all of the available treatment options. An experienced consultant who has a long and proven successful record in the management and treatment of ANs and whose guidance and advice you can trust implicitly, is essential. AN symptoms are not necessarily abated after undergoing either microsurgery or stereotactic radiosurgery so do ensure that you bear that in mind during your deliberations. It may be that in due course and without resorting to invasive treatment, your present symptoms may well diminish and the dimensions of your AN may also remain stable. Have you fully considered conservative management ('watch & wait') whereby with the aforementioned professional advice and guidance and regular MRI scanning such an option may be advantageous to you?

Best wishes with whatever decision you ultimately choose. I do hope that you have a peaceful Christmas and that the New Year is a successful one for you.

Best Regards

Derek

Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

clere

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 10:17:23 am »
Best of luck Clere. What approach are they doing for you?
[/quote]

They are doing translab, I have already lost hearing in that ear so we don't have to worry about trying to preserve anything there.  It is my understanding that translab gives a better "view" of things in my particular situation.  Part of my decision making process involved my age, I just turned 61 and am in pretty good health. I was concerned that if I wait and watch and it grows to a size where it causes other problems and NEEDS to be removed I may not be in the same situation. There are so many things to be considered, even though mine has been growing for about 5 years I did not know it was there because it was missed by the radiologist who read my first scan (it was found by a doctor who reviewed the scan last summer). So after a second scan in July they determined that it was growing and should be treated. I personally would like it totally out of there if possible. Knowing that it is there and growing has made me imagine every twinge and tick is the result of the AN.  And as someone stated earlier (in another thread) 'what am I waiting for?" I am hoping that by doing it now when it is fairly small will give me the best chance for total removal and a good recovery.  Have I made the "right" decision?  Don't know and believe me I have been second guessing myself, but I am glad that i am finally moving forward. The people and information on this site have been extremely helpful so continue to ask questions here, find a medical team you are confident in....I hope it helps lead you to a decision that is right for you.

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 11:33:20 am »
Your postop nurses will get you moving. If they say you need to get into the chair, do it. When they tell you to walk you do it. I felt like saying you have to be crazy(or something worse). When I went outside to walk the first time I realized not using 2 arms, just one arm to help was monumental! You will realize our worst fears rarely come true:) Even though I'm doing great, I am staying 2 weeks as planned, just in case there's a bump in the road, but don't think there will be. Focus on positive!

Cheryl R

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 11:34:06 am »
I have never been dizzy with having had 3 tumors and 4 surgeries.       There is the off balance feel which is different than being dizzy.    You would likely have that for a time post op but the other side of the brain compensates for most but not all people in time.      The hearing loss is frequent in tumor removal but not always.       The facial issues if there are any and not all do have any, are temporary in most cases.       There will be fatigue for a varying period of time.     Some may have long term headaches but not all do.           The immediate recovery varies in that you will feel not well for a few days and improves over just a couple weeks to several weeks as we all do vary.          The not knowing ahead of surgery makes it hard as one would like to know how you are going to feel.   
Just resting a lot along with being active and walking when can is what ones has to do.         Over doing on the being too active will not help as the brain and nerves need their own time to adjust.                    Hope this helps.                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

ASG

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 12:48:47 pm »
Hang in there buddy.  I'm also 31 and the initial period after my diagnosis was so rough.  The worst is trying to figure out what you're going to do.  You got the right attitude in getting as much info as you can and using the site as a resource.  For me once I decided on a treatment, and went through the treatment, the stress level went way down, and my AN symptoms became less bothersome.  I'm hopeful that you're on your way to a similar experience. 

Adam
2.9 x 2.6 AN left side
GK 9/20/13 w/ Dr. Lunsford @ UPMC

June, 2015: 2.1 x 1.2

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 11:08:26 am »
I am just not living my life to the fullest anymore and I am only 31. I am terrified of surgery and really don't know what to expect as an outcome. I have heard people say that you still have dizziness.

In my opinion, your first sentence (quoted above) speaks loud and clear.  It tells me that you need to do something about your AN sooner rather than later.  No matter how small it is, if it's interfering with your life to the point where you aren't living it to the "fullest anymore" you need to address it.  And that applies whether you are 31 or 81.

Don't be afraid of surgery.  Yes, it IS brain surgery; but there are worse things in life.  Lots of us have lived through it, don't regret it, and have moved on to live a happy, productive life.  And if surgery will enable you to live life to the fullest again, they I say go for it.

I'm over 6 years post op for a much larger AN than you have and I don't have dizziness; never had dizziness.

Jan   
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MG

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 05:37:44 am »
"Mac"

I agree with what Derek said. Good advice.I hope you come to the best decision for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Let us know please when you make your decision.

Best of luck, MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016