Author Topic: Waiting for MRI does these symptoms sound common in an AN ?  (Read 6047 times)

Michelle mum

Waiting for MRI does these symptoms sound common in an AN ?
« on: December 08, 2013, 06:10:29 pm »
Hi Forum,

Just joined as for the last few months/weeks my life is consumed with do I or don't I. I am 35 working mum to 5 and realized I was losing some hearing in my right ear. After a full audio exam it was confirmed that I have quite a severe steep drop of loss at high frequency, the chart looks quite impressive !
Along with this hearing loss a few months back I suffered very extreme episodes of vertigo, they only last a few weeks but i had to hold onto something while they happened.
My ears always feel "full" , I have dizzy spells, find it hard to concentrate , fatigue and just a general feeling of "being dazed" or like I am on some kind of medication or something - its hard to explain. I also have pain and tenderness in the effected ear and recently started getting headaches on the right side that seem to build up at the base of my neck too.
A couple of weeks back the right side of my face went numb and tingly, this lasted for a whole morning then wore off, I've had one similar attack since then too.
I have been told this morning that they have a "strong suspicion" that it may well be an AN. They have booked my scan for "semi urgent" which means I should get a MRI date within 2 weeks.

Does any of this seem familiar ? The biggest thing is this sense of feeling "dazed" and having to work hard at just thinking straight and complete fatigue, I could sleep several times a day just like that.

and pain ? reading up as much as I can there is no real "pain " symptoms but if i press against the inside of my ear the pain is immense and they have said that this must be neurological as the ear itself looks perfectly healthy.

Thanks for any info
worried mum of 5 lovely children , ex Scot now living in New Zealand.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 06:15:38 pm by scottishpink »

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Waiting for MRI does these symptoms sound common in an AN ?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 12:16:57 pm »
Welcome to the site.

Symptoms like yours have been reported by many of our members so it's possible that you have an AN.

But there's really no way to be sure until you've had your MRI (with contrast).
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 02:54:52 pm »
From what you are describing, it's definitely possible that you may have an AN.  But it's also possible that you may not have an AN.  Some of your symptoms are experienced by people with ANs but, then again, your symptoms could be caused by something else.

Not all AN patients have the same symptoms; or have all the possible symptoms.  For example, I had fullness in my ear and diminished hearing; and when my neurotologist tested me he told me I had balance issues (who knew?)  I didn't have any pain, numbness, or dizziness.  I didn't have fatigue and wasn't dazed.

But that's just me; others were different. 

As Jack said, the only way to tell for sure is to have an MRI (preferably with contrast). 

Good luck.  Let us know your MRI results.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Michelle mum

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 02:10:30 pm »
Thanks guys for your replies, as i guessed it might be, might not be ??? The strain of waiting and not knowing either way is taking its toll - I'm not the most patient of people !! and I'm going to feel a complete fraud even being on here if all is well.

I did not even know such a thing existed until it was mentioned that it may be the cause of my hearing loss and now its consumes my thoughts most days :(

Still waiting for MRI date to come through, I really hope its before Christmas fingers crossed.

Derek

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 03:15:08 pm »
Hi 'scottishpink'...

Agreed...the only definitive way of ascertaining whether or not you have an acoustic neuroma is via an MRI scan with gadolinium contrast dye added during the process. Hopefully your fears will be groundless but until you have the results of your scan do your level best to stay calm and focused. Very best of luck, do keep us updated and hope you and your family have a happy and peaceful Christmas.

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Michelle mum

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 01:05:12 am »
Hi there

Thanks for all your replies, still waiting for appointment but not doing so good.

Currently experiencing a bad bought of vertigo/dizziness that's making me feel very nauseous and a bit disorientated. Not felt this bad before.

Is this a symptom that others have experienced ? Its really not very nice, especially when I have 5 children all making various demands and I'm trying to act as if everything is ok !

Michelle

Derek

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 06:32:33 am »
Hi Michelle...

Vertigo / dizziness and problems with balance are all fairly typical acoustic neuroma symptoms which fortunately usually tend to abate over time. Of course your symptoms may well be unrelated to AN so just hang in there until you have your eventual MRI scan results.

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 10:29:34 am »
I agree with Derek, but if your symptoms continue to get worse you may want to check in with your doctor and see if they can expedite your MRI. 

You said 5 days ago that your MRI would most likely take place in about 2 weeks.  If you find you can't wait that long - because you are feeling worse - there's no harm is asking for the MRI sooner rather than later.  All they can tell you is no.

Hang in there,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways