Author Topic: THE RIGHT DOCTOR  (Read 2936 times)

dacir2

THE RIGHT DOCTOR
« on: November 01, 2013, 03:16:03 pm »
Hi everyone.  I was diagnosed late in 2009, and now it's time to move.  I have to have surgery, and that's because I have no hearing in the other ear due to a cold a few years ago (which is how I found out about my AN)  I've been told I can also do radiation, and I've seen Dr. Kondzioulka who suggested radiation by a smaller dosage, but I think it's going to be surgery, so that if I do lose my hearing, I can still have a cochlear implant.  (I've heard that there's not much success with a cochlear implant after radiation).  I've been to see about 15 doctors, and I'm deciding.  I'm terrified of all the consequences and the "new normal" I've been reading about.  Of the doctors I've seen, I want opinions.
I've seen Sisti, Kwartler, Kaptain, Kondzioulka, Choe, Selesnick, Evans, Guten, Ingenito, and I've spoken to Roland, Abrams, Connolly, and I"m sure a couple more I haven't mentioned.  HELP!  Anyone got any information for me to help with a decision?!

Little_Bear

• Be extraordinary
Re: THE RIGHT DOCTOR
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:35:34 pm »
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I would suggest talking to Dr. Friedman (he is at USC/Keck Hospital) for another opinion. After I spoke with him on the phone, I knew he was the right choice for me. I can't really comment on any of the Dr's that you mentioned. I hope you figure it all out and best of luck!

Alan Goldberg

• Caregiver since September 2009.
Re: THE RIGHT DOCTOR
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 05:21:13 pm »
Wow! Many doctor's and many opinions. Being involved in the NYC support group we know most of the doctors and many of the participants have used these doctors The decision tree on the ANA website might help you think this through, as well as questions to ask a physician.

You can go to 20 more doctors, but the most important thing is for you to make a decision based on who you feel most comfortable with!  You've seen some excellent physicians - who talked about their experience with a tumor similar to your tumor? 

Unfortunately no one can make a decision but you.