Author Topic: Acupuncture effect on Acoustic Neuroma  (Read 12996 times)

saifkamaal

Acupuncture effect on Acoustic Neuroma
« on: October 21, 2013, 07:14:40 am »
I have a friend who is having AN for last 4 yrs and has undergone 2 surgeries till date - the 2nd one in 2012. Her current AN size is (4.0 (AP) x 3.5 (H) x 3.2 (W) cm)), which is a big worry for us. We have been told that Acupuncture can help in cases where patient is suffering from AN. I would love to hear from the people here if in case they had the same and went ahead with Acupuncture and the results.

I would also like to know the way to reduce AN size. All doctors told her to undergo surgery again for size reduction and then go for technique like gamma knife and cyber knife to control AN.

I am looking for an alternative solution like her AN size reduction with the help of Acupuncture, so that she doesnt need to go another surgery.

Love to hear from you fellas.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:29:03 am by saifkamaal »

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
Re: Acupuncture effect on Acoustic Neuroma
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 08:13:59 pm »
Saifkammal, I'm sorry to hear that your friend has to face the process of AN regrowth. It is a terrible piece of news - and I know how you friend's felt. I myself had to undergo three surgeries (see the signature at the bottom).

I have never heard of successful holistic approaches to treat tumors. Years ago I read a thread here in the forum about a lady who wanted to treat her tumor with herbs but as far as I recall, completely in vain.

The other day I came across this link. It is about honey used to subside the size of tumors in NZ http://www.bio30.com/Research/maruta-research.html

Today I read this article  http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2013/10/traditional_chinese_medicine_origins_mao_invented_it_but_didn_t_believe.single.html

I know that it is human nature to tend to reject obvious solutions esp when it comes to difficult and, mind you, pressing, situations like this. Please do not assume I try to steer you in a particular direction. I am just giving you some articles which while I was reading, I thought of you and your friend. And of course, my two cents.

Best,
Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

TOM101

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 09:40:32 pm »
I went to acupuncturist and was told they can do nothing for a AN. After waiting about 5 years, I went to DR Chang at Stanford and had CK. Easy and no problems in 2 years. If you want to try to get rid of the tumor I learned one thing that might help. I encountered a Biologist after I went to Stanford so I couldn't try this but I was told that (wheat grass might be able to shrink tumors)
I would check into this and see what affect and if some super veges might get to the tumor. I would guess that your digestive system, liver, gall bladder etc, if improved might work. I tried to find any way to avoid surgery or even CK but wanted the growth to stop so took the easy way. It probably hasn't been posted here in a longtime but there is a DR with a better method of surgery.
Dr shahanian in Los Angeles does an arthoscopic, dime size incision and doesn't cause as much damage as the other surgeries. Hang in there.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 11:15:54 am »
As much as I wish there were, there isn't any "cure" for an AN except for surgery or radiation.  Acupunture and/or holistic methods won't reduce it or eliminate it.

From what you are telling us about your friend's AN it is still considered large, despite surgeries.  The recommendation of another surgery followed by radiation (also known as debulking) is commonly the best solution. 

I can understand your friend not wanting another surgery, but it may be the only solution.  If she doesn't treat her AN it has the potential to become life-threatening. 

As for Dr. Shaninian and his endoscopic surgery, suggested by Tom, it might not be a possibility with a tumor of this size.  Plus, lots of AN docs will tell you that endoscopic AN surgery limits the ability to see possible brain bleeds which isn't something you want to mess with.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 12:58:52 pm »
Saifkamaal ~

I have to agree with the previous posters that Acupuncture or other holistic approaches will not reduce the growth of an acoustic neuroma.  The size you gave for your friend's tumor describes a large AN that should be removed.  I had a 4.5 cm AN that was surgically debulked (layers peeled off, reducing it's density), it's blood supply severed then (90 days later) radiated via FSR.  Both procedures were successful and I did not encounter any notable complications from the surgery or the radiation.  That was seven years ago and today, I'm doing great. 

I suggest that your friend heed her doctors advice to have the tumor surgically reduced and radiated.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

saifkamaal

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 04:14:00 am »
I am bumping this post yet  again. >:( >:( :( :( :( :(

My friend got operated and now her tumor reads 3.1 * 2.2 * 1.0 . is this size suitable for gamma knife or cyber knife ?

Of 3.1 * 2.2 * 1.0 - which parameter stands for the size of the tumor ?

Regards
Saif

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 11:53:03 am »
Most docs will radiate an AN of 3 cms or less; depends on the doctor though - and on the location of the AN.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Ceecee

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 10:01:37 pm »
Just found this post and appreciate the information everyone has shared. I've been considering Acupuncture for treatment and thought some research first. Glad to have found this post.

Jim would like to know where you received treatment.

Houdoni

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 06:38:40 pm »
Yes Jim, where did you get the surgery - taking layers off the AN?  Sounds very interesting.  And when you say that you're doing great, how is your hearing, tinnitus, and balance?   Thanks!!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 06:21:46 am »
Just a note on this thread.  This was started over four years ago so the original posters have very likely moved on and are no longer checking this forum.  You could always try sending them a private message to see if they respond.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011