Author Topic: My surgery  (Read 8182 times)

al

My surgery
« on: September 07, 2006, 05:25:11 pm »
To all -

In June I was first diagnosed with a 1cm AN and then joined this website.  Last Wednesday I was operated on to remove the tumor by the translab approach.   My operatation only lasted 4 hours and I was in the hospital 3 1/2 days.  I had no complications - no facial paralysis, no headaches.  All I had following the surgery was dizziness and nauseau which went away by the time I left the hospital.  I will be going for my first post-operative visit next Tuesday.

I just want everyone to know you do not always have to have problems following surgery.  My balance is getting better each day and I can walk pretty steady now on my own.  The most important factor is getting the best doctor with the most experience in this field.

If anyone would like to write me back with questions, please do so.

AN

shoegirl

Re: My surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 05:31:49 pm »
Al,

Congratulations!  So happy to hear that you had such a positive outcome thus far.  Where did you have your surgery? Sounds like you had a fabulous team!  Best wishes in your continued recovery.   :)
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 05:42:04 pm »
Hi Al,

Thanks for checking back in and reporting your wonderful outcome.  I am so glad you had a great surgical experience and the road to recovery sounds short.  Continued good look to you.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 09:53:07 pm »
AL,
 It's so good to hear about the positive outcomes. The newbies, expecially the just diagnosed need to hear these stories.
Best of luck to you in your journey through recovery. Sure wish they all went so well.
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

LK

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 03:52:26 pm »
Lunch sounds great!!!!!!!!

I  will drive!!!!

Off to a Friday shabbat dinner. Speak to you over the weekend. Feel well.

LK

Obita

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 05:15:22 am »
Al:

It sounds like you came through as good as you can.  Great news.......now you are approaching the dry eye time....I sure hope you make it through without that happening.  Keep some Lacrilube in the house just in case.  I woke up with dry eye on day 10 or so.  My only complication that deserved whining about.

Good luck in the weeks to follow.  I am so happy for you and thanks for posting the good news.

Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

TT

• Tenor Sax in stero; nothing better
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 10:04:32 am »
Al,
Way to go, I too had a succesful procedure on August 24th although your recovery is going a bit better. I'm still dizzy and walk around like Otis. As Kathy mentioned, the dry eye thing may still happen. It happened to me on day 10. The nerves on my AN side stopped working. Naturally, I freaked out but my doctors assured me it a temporary side effect that treatable with steriods which I'm on now. Keep up the great work, but don't over do it too fast.
Terry
2 cm AN - right side
Diagnosed 6/22/06
Retro. procedure performed on 8/24/06 / SSD
Dr. Peter Smith & Dr. Robt. Backer
St. Johns Hospital - St. Louis, Missouri

LK

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 03:39:39 pm »
Dear Al,

You have made a terrifc recovey from your surgery 10 days ago and you are well on your way to a complete and uneventful recovery.
Two postings mentioned the possibility of having "dry eye"post op . I really wonder if it was necessary to scare "Al" with these warnings??????

Having had A.N. surgery 15 years ago, I am very happy that this discussion forum did not exist at that time.. I had a complete  and successful recovery (lost my hearing in my left ear) and would not have appreciated these "dire warnings".

Let's only wish AL the very best .

Obita

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 04:43:59 pm »
Al and LK:

I would never what to scare anyone.  Point taken LK.  I should have phrased it better.

The dry eye is the most common, unexpected (because it happens a few weeks after surgery) problem the majority of surgery patients have.  I was told about the probability before surgery and again when I went home from the hospital.  I figured I was in the clear when it had not happened in the first week after I got home.  Well, I couldn't drive and I live alone so it caught me by surprise with no lacrilube or drops in the house.  I just wish I had thought to buy some before I needed them. 

I do wish you the best Al.  And LK, your post is an inspiration to us too.  I am very glad you had no complications, not even the pesky dry eye.

Kathy
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 05:05:07 pm by Obita »
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 04:56:07 pm »
Hi Al and congrats. As you know, day by day, inch by inch, regardless of what form of treatment any of us had.. just remember to take it easy.

Who did your surgery?  What the growth IAC or in CP Angle already?  Did they give you steroids to help after?  Just hoping you can share this for those that are looking into micro-surgery (as well as other forms of treatments, as well as others here that like to follow along with everyone's progress).

Hang in there, remember to take it easy... and be well.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

al

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 03:42:45 pm »
To all -

As you can see I haven't written in a while.  I had gotten scared on some of the replies back to my email about how I can still get dry eyes so I stopped going onto this site. I guess I was afraid to hear what else could happen.  I never did get the dry eyes and I am now 5 weeks since my surgery (8/30).  Getting use to being deaf on my right ear is still hard for me.

I still have some slight balance problems and sometimes I feel strange with my eyes while walking.  I'm not experiencing any dizziness, I see very clear, but yet do not feel fully focused.  It hard to really explain this feeling.  Some days it's better than others.  I still have some head and ear pains (though this is finally getting better).  Motrin helped the best.  I have read on this site about people using a Memory Foam Pillow..  I have gone into some surgical places, but there are so many different types, that I am interested in anyone using this type of pillow - what kind did you buy and did it really help the pain.

I sometimes wonder how my balance will be back to normal for me to be able to go back to work.  My doctor has said it could take up to 12 weeks for this to happen since my tumor was small 1 cm.  I have to take the bus and train and work full time, part time is no option for me.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

AL 

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 04:16:58 pm »
Hi Al,
I didn't get a memory foam pillow, but I did get a really good "orthopedic" foam pillow, which helped alot.
Please don't expect your balance to be "normal" but it should get better enough to allow you to function fairly well--a good vestibular physical therapist helped me alot. One of the best ways to speed things up is walk, walk, walk.

The feeling you are having that is hard to explain is what we forum folks call "wonkyhead" and unless you've had it, you really can't explain it!

Best of luck in your recovery!
Capt Deb

"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Obita

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 06:04:53 pm »
Oh Al, I feel so bad you left the forum because of me and my "watch out for the dry eye" reply to your post.  Again, I am so sorry.  I was very glad LK took the time to let me know that warnings such as that were not necessary.

I am glad you came back.  Your experience can make a difference to someone newly diagnosed or fresh out of surgery.

I did not have much of a balance problem.  My tumor was much larger than yours so my non AN side had already compensated.  My doctors did tell me to walk looking from side to side to sharpen my balance skills. 

The pillow I was told to buy helped more than I can say.  Within two nights the ache up the neck to the head was gone.  Here is a link if you are interested:  http://www.healthyback.com/store/sleeping/hbneckpillow.htm

Best of luck Al,  Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04