Author Topic: Scared- Ringing in non-AN ear now!  (Read 2157 times)

Wpbmom

Scared- Ringing in non-AN ear now!
« on: October 06, 2013, 01:00:35 pm »
 I was diagnosed in April of 2013 with a small AN on left side (3.5mm), with ringing & fullness in ear & slight balance issues. In August I had a second MRI with contrast with no change. In September I had a week of severe dizziness and extremely blurry vision. I went to the neurologist and was told that the visions issues were not related with such a small AN. I now have to wear transition lenses with prisms after never needing glasses before. This past week October 1st, I have had intermittent high pitched ringing in my right ear. I am due for my next MRI and hearing test in February. I was wondering if anyone else with a small AN has experienced this? A little nervous that it might be another AN on the right side.

LakeErie

Re: Scared- Ringing in non-AN ear now!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 02:38:55 pm »
I have had intemittent ringing in my non-AN ear for years with no evidence of any 2nd AN. Your ear may ring for many reasons. I have no change in my hearing ear either despite the ringing.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

mesafinn

Re: Scared- Ringing in non-AN ear now!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 02:45:50 pm »
Hi WPBMom,

Unfortunately, tinnitus (ringing in your ears) is a reality in either the AN or the non-AN ear.   Sometimes the non-AN ear "compensates."  It is not the AN causing the tinnitus but rather a brain "switch" that is turned on because of the AN.

An AN in both ears is possible but quite unlikely given that you have already had two MRIs that didn't catch it.

Hang in there....the ringing and related side effects are all a bit frightening and all a bit frustrating.

P.
Oct 2012:  Constant Pulsatile Tinnitus
Feb 28, 2013: Dx AN 1.4 cm X .9 mm
April 19, 2013:  GK at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."