Author Topic: Translab Surgery Scheduled at Miami Jackson 10/07/13  (Read 2678 times)

MMFlorida

Translab Surgery Scheduled at Miami Jackson 10/07/13
« on: September 26, 2013, 07:15:45 am »
My husband's doctor decided on the translab approach since he has lost most of the hearing in his right ear.  It will be in less than two weeks and I must admit we are already getting nervous.  I do trust the doctors: Telischi and Marcos, but after getting all the information yesterday about possible outcomes including short term memory loss, it is a bit scary!!!  Of course I realize that not everyone will have the same journey after surgery.  It is just good to know that I have the people on this forum who know what we are going through to share my thoughts.    The physician said to expect 6 days in the hospital, but I think he was just telling us worse case scenario.  Due to balance issues, do you think it would be important to have someone at the house with my husband for a while to take care of him?  What was your experience?  Since he hasn't been hearing for years, I am assuming that the tumor has been affecting not only his hearing nerve but also his balance nerve and perhaps the balance nerve in the left ear has been accommodating for the right ear and perhaps he won't have much of a balance issue.  At least I hope so!!!  So wish us luck or break a leg!!   Margie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Translab Surgery Scheduled at Miami Jackson 10/07/13
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 10:48:55 am »
Hi, Margie ~

The concerns you and your husband are having are perfectly normal as you approach his AN surgery date.

Six days is probably the maximum hospital stay, excluding any post-op complications (which are infrequent but not unknown).  My stay was five days and some AN surgery patients are home in three days.  It depends on a lot of factors but mostly the doctor's opinion.  My guess is that your husband should be able to navigate on his own around the house.  He probably won't be very energetic the first week at home and as long as he doesn't show any serious balance issues (unlikely), he should be O.K. 

Good luck!  :)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MMFlorida

Re: Translab Surgery Scheduled at Miami Jackson 10/07/13
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 01:18:00 pm »
Dear Jim,

Thanks so much for your response.  Pre-op tests done yesterday so we are on our way to October 7th.

I appreciated hearing from you.

Margie