Author Topic: Post Op Child Care  (Read 2871 times)

Brittany

Post Op Child Care
« on: December 29, 2013, 01:55:41 am »
I've only known about my AN for two days and I'm just realizing what a big deal this is. I suppose it measures sm/med 1.8 x 2.1 x 1.7 cm on the right side. I still have to do the contrast MRI that will give us a clearer picture. Even though it's not huge, I've had some pretty awful symptoms for the past year and a half. Vertigo, tenitus, hearing loss, memory loss, confusion, and my eye seems weak and swimmy. After reading tons of material it seems like surgery will be what I can expect to happen. I'm a stay at home mother of 4 children. 14, 6, 5 and 7 months. The youngest is breast fed. I only found one forum relating somewhat to breastfeeding... it sounds like it won't be easy to continue. I'm wondering how long I should plan for child care post op. I don't meet with my doctor for another month and I'm trying to learn as much as possible about my new condition so that I'm prepared at my appointment. How much help will I need and for how long? I know it's variable, I'd just kinda like to know what to expect. I guess I'm kinda rambling...hope this comes across clearly. I'm a little anxious at the moment.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Post Op Child Care
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 02:29:13 pm »
Hi, Brittany ~

Welcome - although I'm sorry you're the recipient of an AN diagnosis.

Typically, AN surgery recovery takes approximately six weeks although it may be months before you feel 'normal' again.  However, immediately post-surgery a week of live-in help may be a prudent estimate, considering you have four children, including an infant.  How much your husband can help out will be a crucial factor in determining the level and length of time you'll require assistance.  Some post-op AN patients are raring to get back to their normal routine in a few weeks, some need months, most are in-between.

Your scheduled MRI and doctor consult will be informative and help determine your next step.  We're here to help, advise and support you so don't hesitate to ask whatever you need to know.  We aren't doctors and certainly don't know everything but we do want to help so please visit often.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brittany

Re: Post Op Child Care
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 12:16:55 am »
Thank you. <3