Author Topic: FLYING AFTER SURGERY  (Read 4430 times)

v357139

FLYING AFTER SURGERY
« on: September 05, 2013, 04:13:47 pm »
I have been considering House for my surgery.  Is there a risk of developing DVT when flying home after surgery?  I live in NY, and it would be a six hour flight.  What is the deal on flying and DVT after AN surgery?  Or any other complications?
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

kmr1969

Re: FLYING AFTER SURGERY
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 05:15:40 pm »
I flew back from HEI to Maryland with no problems.

I can't sleep on planes and even with being completely exhausted, I didn't sleep on that red eye flight either.

Fortunately, everyone else did, including my exhausted wife, and I walked up and down the aisle every 30 minutes just to make the time seem to pass more quickly.

The doctors at House gave me no special instructions or warnings for the flight home, so I don't think you will have any problems.

If you do fly home you should consider asking for a wheelchair at the airport.  I was hesitant because I didn't like the thought of using a wheelchair when I could walk fine, but it did get us through security much more quickly and LAX is a pretty big airport.
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

v357139

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 06:51:56 pm »
Thanks.  How long was your flight?
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

opp2

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 07:25:12 pm »
I flew home from Vancouver to Ontario 3.5 hour flight, 10 days after surgery-- no problem at all. We even booked first class home so I could use one of those reclining chairs Air Canada has (not sure what kind of aircraft) and I didn't even lie down. Hubby did, but I did put my feet up and enjoyed the meal.

Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 11:54:35 pm »
Its worth checking with your doctor.
Should be absolutely fine, but DVT is a risk after any surgery whether you fly or not.
Flying could add to the risk.
Not unusual to be put on a course of drugs to prevent stroke/DVT after surgery.
Age, fitness, smoker etc. could be factors the doctor might consider as a risk factor for DVT
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

v357139

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 10:00:39 am »
Its worth checking with your doctor.

Thanks.  Which doctor would I check with?  I asked Dr Friedman and he said just compression stockings, no special drugs.

v357139

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:03:12 am »

Fortunately, everyone else did, including my exhausted wife, and I walked up and down the aisle every 30 minutes just to make the time seem to pass more quickly.

So your balance was good enough to walk up and down the aisle?  Don't people sometimes have balance issues after translab?

kmr1969

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 12:34:22 pm »
I think flight time was about 5 hours.   We left our room at Seton Hall at 6:30 p.m. West Coast time and it was 11:30 a.m. East Coast time when we finally made it home, but we had to stop and pick up our kids from family on our way home.  It was a looooooong trip, but home never looked so good.

Everybody is different.  I was lucky to have very minimal balance issues and was walking around the hospital the day after I got out of the ICU. 

If your balance is good after surgery, you should walk as much as possible.  One, it helps pass the time and there is a nice little garden at Seton Hall that I did countless laps around.  Two, the more you walk the better your balance should become as your body retrains itself.  For me, I wanted to be walking pretty well when I got home because I didn't want my family to be too worried about me.

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 09:55:46 pm »
I used the compression socks flying home. My flight was 3+ hours to ND. Not as long as you. Your considering Dr. Friedman?
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

v357139

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 07:28:28 pm »
Yes I am considering Friedman.  But now he is at USC.  I wonder how USC is