Author Topic: Woken up by loud tinnitus in other ear  (Read 3366 times)

Trippy

Woken up by loud tinnitus in other ear
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:43:19 am »
I hope I'm freaking out over nothing but last night I woke up to tinnitus that was louder than my AN ear.  It took a couple of minutes to calm down.  I woke up feeling kind of woozy today, hopefully thats just from losing a bit of sleep.  The doctors have told me not to worry about the ringing in my other ear but something just doesn't seem right.  Is this normal?

Chances3

Re: Woken up by loud tinnitus in other ear
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 11:12:56 am »
My AN side has it's own sound.  Than there is the sound that emanates from the center of the head, I can't differentiate from what side it is coming from.  I also have a low sound that has been in my head since I was a teen, but never paid attention to it.  So I suffer from three different sounds. On really bad days, the inner sound - not from the AN side can be pretty loud and debilitating.  I find that lack of sleep and an incorrect diet has some influence, along with caffeine and alcohol.

They sell some noise makers to mask the sound for you that can help you at night.  The one I have has a lot of different choices, like the ocean, the rain forest, birds singing etc - you get the picture ?

I hope that helps, I find Tinnitus to be worse than any AN issue.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 02:41:07 am »
I too have developed a ring in my "good" ear, this started several years ago and I had an MRI and nothing was found, the doctor I saw felt it was "sympathy Tinnitus", noise produced to make up for the lack of stimulation on the "bad side"? I personally found this a crappy answer but nothing has changed and I remain fine at this point (still have NF II as a worry but always have had since Dx anyway)
Hope this helps.
If you find the need look for another doctor to investigate this issue if you're not happy with what the current one says it's from
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

nftwoed

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 09:05:54 am »
Hello;

Re, "sympathy Tinnitus"; This sounds like an ENT's pathetic statement.
   How's a recent audiogram?

Trippy

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 02:15:34 pm »
Yeah I didn't care for my ENT's explanation that it was noise induced.  My other ear is behaving too similarly to my AN ear to ignore...though according to my ENT my last audiogram a couple weeks ago was still "good."

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 01:14:51 am »
The audiogram I had done was absolutely fine, the issue was all looked into a couple of years ago (MRI with contrast) and I figured the idea of "sympathy tinnitus" was a bogus thing to say "I don't know why you have it"!
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)