Author Topic: Baha to Cros  (Read 5047 times)

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
Baha to Cros
« on: August 20, 2013, 01:49:19 pm »
Has anyone gone from a baha to a cros? Why?
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Baha to Cros
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 06:45:08 am »
My BAHA is 3 years old now, and it seems like my good ear is going bad., so I had a hearing test last week and my good ear has only had about a 5% reduction in the last 4 years...normal according to the audiologist for my age.

I noticed that I can hear myself "inside my head" louder than I can hear myself through my good ear sometimes. The audiologist thinks I may have some swelling that may be blocking some portions of my ear and I am mostly hearing through my BAHA. She said the skull is a poor conductor of sound and a lot of the sound we "want" to hear never gets transmitted from the BAHA to the good ear.

I love my BAHA, but she said a Cros might be better for me because it reproduces sound in a digital form rather than vibrating the skull. However, I have an appointment with an ENT to look for any swelling...it could just be an allergy.

The Readers Digest version...better sound reproduction with the Cros. I  have no experience with the Cros and cannot make any statements about it. It seems like several people here have a Cros and love it. I will keep you updated but I will not see the ENT for about 2 weeks.

nftwoed

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 07:10:07 pm »
Hi;

Sorry, I just wish to state I disagree with the Auds 4 year statement and a 5% loss. I feel unless exposed to undue sound stress, or late middle age, there must be some etiology behind a loss like that for someone say, 35 - 55?

Paul F

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:22:10 am »
I went from a BAHA Intenso to a Bi-Cros Phonac system.  I then had the abutment removed.  I had far to much drainage around the implant and I did not like the Intenso one bit.  All it did for me was amplify the background noise which drowned out whatever I was hearing.  In a vehicle, it was even worse with road noise.  The Intenso is analog and only had two minor adjustments that could be made to it.  I did not get a chance to try the digital versions. I am satisfied with the Cros.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 11:35:33 am »
Hi;

Sorry, I just wish to state I disagree with the Auds 4 year statement and a 5% loss. I feel unless exposed to undue sound stress, or late middle age, there must be some etiology behind a loss like that for someone say, 35 - 55?

If you are referring to James E, James is 64.

A bit beyond late middle age.

I'm 66 and my good ear has a mild deficiency at higher frequencies.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

nftwoed

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 09:46:31 pm »
Hi;

I wonder if most insurances are still paying for BAHA? And there is also a surgical risk factor.
   As hearing worsens, a phenomena known as air bone gap becomes more pronounced. If the ratio between air/bone gap and air/air gap becomes too great, the pt. often loses candidacy for BAHA as hearing will be better not transmitted through bone, but, through air.
   Air/bone gap is a tough one to understand. Beyond me for sure. Would say those with SSD and no hearing loss in the good ear, have 0 air/bone gap, so make good, potential BAHA users.

Has anyone gone from a baha to a cros? Why?

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 11:07:54 am »
Let me throw this in for discussion. I am on medicare now, however I was not at the time of my surgery. Aetna covered my BAHA because it is a prosthetic device and not a hearing aid.

Medicare does not provide any coverage for hearing aids however on page 45 of the 2013 Medicare Handbook it talks about prosthetic/orthotic items:Medicare covers arm, leg, yada yada yada yada....and prosthetic devices needed to REPLACE an INTERNAL body part or function....when ordered by a doctor or other health care provider enrolled in Medicare.

My right ear was removed and it was an internal body part. My presumption is Medicare will cover a Bicros Phonac because will REPLACE an INTERNAL body part. Anyone ever used this approach?

Addressing my age...I am a young 64 and starting to delaminate a little bit at a time. Going to my fathers 92nd birthday this weekend and he is still dating and goes on at least 4 international trips each year. I figure I have at least another 30+ years to go. I lift weights 5 days each week and still look pretty good in a swim suit.

nftwoed

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 06:08:13 pm »
Hello;
   To my knowledge, Medicare will not pay for any external hearing aid.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 01:44:59 am »
I had a Cros years ago, once I got used to it I loved it.....unfortunately I ran into some functional probelms with it and the company kept repairing it and it kept breaking down so in my linen cupboard it sits! Not sure of the make. I have been considering the Baha but I think I might have great difficulties adjusting to all the noise I might hear after so many years half deaf so I am not sure I will go ahead with it.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)