Author Topic: Surgery date is approaching at HEI  (Read 4322 times)

yxw91

Surgery date is approaching at HEI
« on: September 02, 2013, 04:21:38 pm »
I was diagnosed with AN in 2009 and have been on W+W mode for four years. Now that it grows to 19x19x26 mm, I'm going to HEI next week to see Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz for surgery.  I'm very nervous after I made that decision even though I will be in good hands.   I have heard a lot about their great stories in the past, has anyone done surgery RECENTLY with Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz?  Eager to hear your new experience.  Even though the date is approaching, I'm always wondering if I should continue W+W mode as I am still experiencing only very mild symptoms. Any thoughts and suggestions from House alumni?   

jgereda

Re: Surgery date is approaching at HEI
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 04:19:49 pm »
I also have surgery scheduled wtih Dr. Schwartz at House (and Goddard) on the 11th, next week.  I am also in that place where I am wondering if I could wait and put it off longer.  Good Luck with your surgery, I will be praying for everyone who has to deal with all of this!

kmr1969

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 07:09:51 pm »
Drs Brackmann and Schwartz did my surgery last year and you will be in good hands.

One of my first post surgery memories is hearing Dr. Schwartz say that my post-op CAT scan looked normal, and one of my next is hearing one of the ICU nurses answer the phone the next morning and saying "Yes, Dr. Brackmann he is doing fine."

I was very pleased with my experience at House and hope the same for you.

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

yxw91

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 06:03:25 am »
Ken, thank you for sharing your experience.  How long did the surgery last?  How long did it take to recover? Do you experience any post-op issues such headache, facial numbness etc. Have you got your taste bug back afterwards, I guess I have a lot questions, but really anxious to hear your story in great detail, as my case would be similar to yours. 

yxw91 - I had to remove your telephone number from the post for security purposes.  You can send Ken a PM with your number if you wish.  Thanks for your understanding.

Jim S.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:35:12 am by Jim Scott »

kmr1969

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 10:37:52 am »
My surgery was right around 8 hours and then after spending one night in the ICU, I was moved to a regular hospital room.  I was lucky to experience almost no dizziness, vertifo, headaches, etc, and I was walking around my little part of the hopsital the next day.

I do have some lingering facial issues, primarily greatly increased numbness and a feeling of tightness post surgery over pre surgery, but no paralysis.  I constantly look at my face becasue it feels like it must look weird - when half your face feels 50% numb you can start to worry about what face you may be unexpectedly making, but for better or for worse it looks just like it did pre-surgery. My taste buds have not improved on the surgery side, but those on the non-surgery side work pretty well.  Dr. Brackmann has told me to be patient with my nerves trying to recover and really, what else can I do?

Tuesday was my operation day and I was released on Saturday.  My only complication was that when they first took my stitches out (the following Wednesday) I had a small CSF leak.  In retrospect, they/we probaly rushed the removal of the stitches because the next day was Thanksgiving and I was very hopeful to be home.  But, they stitched me back up and 2 days later I was on my way home.  I had my primary care physician remove the stitches about 2 weeks later without any problem.

Please tell Dr. Brackmann that Ken and Mary Ann from Maryland said hello and told you that you would be well taken care of.

If you have any more questions send me a private message as suggested by Jim and I will be happy to help you the same way many others helped me.

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 09:13:27 pm »
I know you were asking for recent patients of Brackmann/Schwarz, but I was pleasantly surprised to hear that Dr. Brackmann is still taking the reigns on some procedures!  I hope when I get to that age I am still as with it as he is!  They both did mine 5 years ago (Back when you first got dx'd!)  I have not regretted it at all! Good luck and let us know how it goes!  Your AN is starting to get on the large size, and the larger it is, the harder it may be to get out, as you know.  I heard this from the beginning and still believe it's true, if you made a decision and your gut tells you it was good, then that's the right decision.  Go with your gut, you won't be sorry!  Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

nftwoed

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 07:54:21 pm »
Hi;

If you are especially close to a pt. and would like to speak with them 2 or 3 days later, AND, the family and they will accept ( Tell them who you are and how you know their loved one from this group ), just call the hospital general number and ask for the pts. room.
   I use to call pts. when I could hear better. Most are glad to hear from the outside world and someone 'other' than family, Drs and nurses, aids, etc.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:10:22 pm by nftwoed »