Author Topic: Cochlear Schwannoma and superior semicircular dehiscence  (Read 4828 times)

fairwynne

Cochlear Schwannoma and superior semicircular dehiscence
« on: September 01, 2013, 08:54:39 pm »
I have been dealing with dizziness nausea and headaches for a while not to mention the hearing loss, fullness and ringing in my right ear. I was diagnosed with a very small AN located at the base of my cochlea back in July. I went to the Mayo in Jacksonville to see Dr. Larry Lundy and he ordered a CT along with several vestibular tests. I went this past Tuesday and found out that I have a superior semicircular dehiscence in my right ear. Apparently this is a congenital defect where my skull was thin directly over the vestibular portion of my ears and the right side has a hole or dehiscence. The good news is that this can be fixed with an outpatient procedure! My hearing loss is due to the schwannoma and we will be watching and waiting as of now. I am thankful for the prognosis of this upcoming procedure and look forward to getting rid of these issues. Of course there is a chance that the surgery will not take care of the issues but the stats are in my favor! Most importantly I serve an awesome God! Surgery for capping of the dehiscence will be the Monday before Thanksgiving. I will have another MRI to monitor the AN in Decemer. :)

thedales7

Re: Cochlear Schwannoma and superior semicircular dehiscence
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 08:09:45 am »
Hi!  I too have an intracochlear schwannoma.  I am seeing Dr. Greene in Jacksonville.   How are you doing since this post?   Have you sought treatment or are you still W&W-ing?
3mm? (I was in such shock i can't remember! )intracochlear AN/ intralabyrintnine schwannoma right ear
60% low and mid frequency hearing loss
Watch and wait

Walter-AN

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 06:47:53 pm »
Hi thedales7,

I was diagnosed  last October with a intracochlear schwannoma on the basal turn of my cochlea. It's about 3mm or so in size.  I went to mayo in Rochester MN to get it checked out because my hearing in my right ear was progressively getting worse over a four year period and my hometown ENT didn't know what it was.  So I am on W&W. my ear has about 10% of the hearing left and the mayo doc felt that eventually all of the hearing will be gone.  I do have tinnitus which I have learned to live with. It seems these intracochlear buggers are kind of Rare (aren't we lucky!).  Please let me know what your doc says.  Best of luck!
2mm intracochlear schwannoma diagnosed Jan 2015 on W&W
Tinnitus and ear fullness

That's my story and I'm stick'in to it

fairwynne

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 06:43:15 pm »
Still watching and waiting. How about you all?