Author Topic: Vanderbilt, Mayfield Clinic, Mayo, or other?  (Read 3216 times)

Rusty123

Vanderbilt, Mayfield Clinic, Mayo, or other?
« on: August 22, 2013, 09:00:09 pm »
I was diagnosed with a 4mm AN about two weeks ago with an MRI.  I have gotten an education these last few days about something I had never heard of before.  My ENT didn't really seem to know much about doctors or treatment for this, so we are kind of on our own.  We have used the ANA website quite a bit and have done quite a bit of research and have called a few places.  We live near Louisville, KY, so Vanderbilt or Mayfield Clinic are more convenient and seem to both have great doctors and hospitals, but we are willing to go far to get the best treatment if we need to.  My hearing has been impaired in my left ear, but it is still very useful, and I want to preserve it if possible.  Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments on this site.  We are leaning toward either Vanderbilt (even though I am a UK Wildcats fan) or Mayfield Clinic.  Which one?  Are we making a mistake by staying close to home?  Where is the best place to go?

nftwoed

Re: Vanderbilt, Mayfield Clinic, Mayo, or other?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 01:20:06 pm »
Hi;
   Guess I would gain opinions from both if ins. pays. Whichever surgical team or radiation provider you choose, needs to have quite a bit of experience in the specific form of Tx recommended. Say; If surgical, what type surgery ( exactly ) and if radiological, what type irradiation ( exactly )?
   I've heard of both institutions but probably a little more about Vanderbuilt.
   Maybe try our archive search box on this site's web page in the upper right for past conversations. Type in the clinic names.
   On the other hand with a small AN as that, do you need to have Tx now as waiting for a 2nd MRI in 6 mos. or a year at least gives a growth baseline? ANs generally grow so very slowly ( 1 - 2 mm. per year )

v357139

Re: Vanderbilt, Mayfield Clinic, Mayo, or other?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 07:13:21 am »
First thing is to educate yourself on the options 1) wait and watch, 2) radiation, 3) surgery.  Each has pros and cons.  It may be good to get that 6 month MRI to see if its growing or not.  House in California will give you a free phone consult if you send your MRI.  In addition to those you are looking at, You might also try some of the places known for radiation, such as Dr Lunsford at UPMC,  or Dr Kondziolka at NYU just to get the full range of opinions.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!