Author Topic: Titanium plate and headaches  (Read 11402 times)

pmcollings

Titanium plate and headaches
« on: July 24, 2013, 06:53:27 pm »
Hi all,

I haven't been on here for awhile.  I had my AN removed almost 9 months ago.  Lately I have been experiencing daily headaches and noticed the titanium plate has sunken in a bit.  Went to my DR. yesterday and he confirmed it.  I can actually feel the edge of the plate behind my ear and some of my skull.  He told me he did not know if replacing it would help and we are going to keep an eye on it.
He could not say for sure this is what is causing my headaches.

My question is has anyone out there had this problem ? 

I do want to say thanks in advance. This page has helped me during my journey.  What a wonderful resource to have. 

Thanks all --- Pam
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:58:15 pm by pmcollings »
Diagnosed 5/2012 - 2.0cm
Translabsurgery  10/30/12. 
50 % hearing loss before op.  Total hearing loss after.  Partial facial paralysis
Surgeons - Dr Craig Kemper and Dr. James Kemper. Austin, texas

TexasSprinter

Re: Titanium plate and headaches
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 10:04:34 pm »
Pam--I had AN surgery last December.  Although I joined the AN forum earlier this year, I never visited the headache section because it was not an issue for me.  But in the last 2 months, I seem to get daily "zingers"--sharp pains that seem to come from the tumor area (unfortunately, most of my tumor is still there).  Sometimes I get them when coughing, but other times just randomly.  My doctors said it is fairly common and was not a cause for concern.  No idea what is causing them.  Anyway, thought your question deserved an answer, even if several months late!  I hope your headaches are getting less frequent.

pmcollings

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 01:10:39 pm »
Hi Texas Sprinter,

Thank you for the reply.  My headaches seem to be getting a bit better but I know things are still healing.  I'm sorry to hear about your zingers, it's no fun.  Hopefully one day we won't be dealing with this anymore ! 
Diagnosed 5/2012 - 2.0cm
50 % hearing loss before op.  Total hearing loss after.  Partial facial paralysis

TexasSprinter

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 11:14:59 pm »
Glad to hear things are getting better!

pmcollings

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 02:38:07 pm »
My doctor said the same thing but it just makes me wonder if it will ever get better.  I spoke with this gal that happened to be at my Niece's wedding last month.  Her mother had AN removed  6 years ago. Last year she had a CFS leak.  Kinda scary- how something like that could happen so much later.  Take care !
Diagnosed 5/2012 - 2.0cm

deboline

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 07:33:01 pm »
i had a similar issue and had the titanium mesh removed - a cranioplasty revision. I got relief immediately. The surgeon that did the revision stated that the mesh plate had become bent and nerves were entangled in the mesh - obvious reason for so much pain.

pmcollings

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 06:50:21 pm »
Deboline - I am happy to hear you had immediate relief.  I suppose I need to go see my dr. Pain in the area has now gotten worse.  Thank you everyone for responding. 
Diagnosed 5/2012 - 2.0cm

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 11:10:21 am »
Titanium may or may not be your problem.  Although there's a possibility your headaches are being caused by your titanium, there's also a very good possibility that the titanium isn't a factor.

Lots of us - myself included - have titanium and don't experience headaches.  I have titanium screws, titanium mesh, and a titanium plate from my AN surgery, plus a titanium rod from my BAHA implant.

Before you resort to surgery you might want to read some of the posts in the Headaches section of this Forum for other ideas/options.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways