Author Topic: Plugs and moisture chambers- I need help!  (Read 8197 times)

GeorgiaMei

Plugs and moisture chambers- I need help!
« on: February 16, 2009, 11:46:36 pm »
Hi all.  I am curious about anyone who has had punctal plugs placed (say that 3x fast!) and what you think of them. Are they helpful?  Any downsides?
What about sustained release tear inserts or tear stimulants?

I was recently released by my neurologist to return to work and then told by my employee health dept. that I won't be allowed on the unit because my eye drops are an infectious disease risk (I am a NICU nurse).  I am totally dependent on the drops and couldn't do my job (or function) without them.   Now I am desperate to find an alternative! 

Any info would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
Karen
3.3cm x 2.6cm : Translab resect 3/08
Post-op epilepsy , multiple clots in brain sinuses
Chronic H/A, Facial paralysis, Imbalance, Vertigo
CN VIII removed-deaf in R ear
Received amazing care from Drs. Roberson and Colen at CEI/Stanford (www.californiaearinstitute.com)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Plugs and moisture chambers- I need help!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 06:01:52 am »
Are they a risk because you have to apply them during the day? If so, what about putting on some ointment, such as Refresh PM before your shift? Your eyesight on that side will be a fuzzy on that side, but it takes your brain no time at all to compensate.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 07:45:34 am »
I am sorry to hear of your problem.      A lubricant eye drop is not an antibiotic or a steroid so I can't see how it could be a infectious disease risk.     Plus once we get them in they don't drip out onto a patient.            I was a med surg floor nurse until a year ago but had dry eye problems since 2001 and used the drops daily and it was never questioned.   I have NF2 so the AN issue was an ongoing problem.   
Can a dr speak up for you?       Have you showed them your drop so they can see the ingredients in it.                          2 yrs ago I was around my granddaughter for 3 weeks while she was in NICU and it didn't seem to be a problem.   
I wish you well.       NICU nurses are a very special group!                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:06:17 am »
Karen~
I am not sure why they are considered a risk - is it something that is in them or b/c you open and close them??  If it is the latter, could you use the little vials and then dispose of them??  I think the suggestion of the salve is a great one...I used Refresh PM 24/7 for 7 years before I got a wieght and you do compensate!

Good Luck!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 08:32:24 am »
Hi Karen-

I wanted to respond to your question about punctal plugs.  I got a pp in my lower lid about 6 months after surgery and really wish I had done it sooner!  it was a completely painless procedure which took all of about 2 seconds and it has made a noticeably difference in the amount of drops I need to use.  I did not get the upper lid tear duct plugged, although you can do that too for an extra boost.

What I find now is that I only usually need drops every couple of hours.  I still use a heavy drop - celluvisc gel drops - so they last longer than any of the lighter weight drops I tried.

I am puzzled about how the drops could make you a risk for spreading disease.  Even with punctal plugs, the drops stay in my eye unless I over fill it and in that case, I just get a tear running down my cheek.  Doesn't seem any more risky than if your eye were to start watering and a tear were to leak out.  Hm?

If you want to know more about the punctal plug, feel free to PM me, okay? 

Debbi, plugged and darned happy!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 02:10:43 pm »
Hi all.  I am curious about anyone who has had punctal plugs placed (say that 3x fast!) and what you think of them. Are they helpful?  Any downsides?
What about sustained release tear inserts or tear stimulants?

I was recently released by my neurologist to return to work and then told by my employee health dept. that I won't be allowed on the unit because my eye drops are an infectious disease risk (I am a NICU nurse).  I am totally dependent on the drops and couldn't do my job (or function) without them.   Now I am desperate to find an alternative! 

Any info would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
Karen

This is a bit of a hijack, but seriously??  An "infectious disease risk?"  My sister is also a NICU nurse at a large children's hospital and the unit managers will bully nurses into coming in SICK with contagious crap like stomach bugs and colds...and yours won't let you use your stinkin' eye drops?  Oh, dear Lord...

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 09:21:34 am »
Hi Karen:  I can't use punctual plugs because my eye tears alot, I just can't capture the tears b/c of my paralysis.
However,  I do use a moisture chamber every night - it really soothes the eye.  They're called NITEYE The Dry Eye Comforter.
the tel # is: 1-800-874-5797.  They're pricey, but since I'll probably be using them the rest of my life, I buy them by the case & save over $100.
I buy the non-sterile, 14 per box.
Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

luv2teachsped

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 07:19:03 pm »
Hi Karen:
 I had my AN surgery in 2005.  I had nothing but problems with my eyes.After tons of ointments and eye infections,we went the Puctual Plugs route....What a relief!!!!! I still have a lot of sinus problems, especially in the Michigan winters, but I just started having to use ointment at night every now and then.I had my plugs put in about this time last year!!  I have plug in both the lower and upper lids. Temps were put in the first time and I didn't have much sucess, but I am really happy with the permament plugs.
Good Luck!
Brenda
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

GeorgiaMei

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 07:28:45 pm »
Hi all.  Thanks so much for your support and ideas about how to deal with my eye.  I called in a person who had some more pull, and with her support, they finally allowed me to try being on the unit.  That went fine and so I am temporarily back to work, to see how well I do and if the eye drops are a problem.  The idea is that in touching my eye, the natural bacteria we all have could be spread to sick infants at work.  We're not allowed to touch our face at all!  I convinced them I could leave the unit altogether to put in my drops ad scrub my hands before reentering the unit and so far so good.  A pain for me, but better than losing my job!

Thanks for the suggestions about using Refresh PM.  I use it several time during the night and it is helpful, so I may try it at work too.  I feel bad about the messy oily residue, but what can I do?  Also, I ordered some NTEYE Bubbles for overnight--thanks so much for the idea.  I am hoping they will help me to sleep through the night and eliminate the nighttime dry eye pain!!  I am very excited to try them!

For those of you who have plugs, do they increase the amount of drops that drip down your cheeks?

This community is such a gift! Thanks so much for the support.

Wishing you wellness! 
Karen
3.3cm x 2.6cm : Translab resect 3/08
Post-op epilepsy , multiple clots in brain sinuses
Chronic H/A, Facial paralysis, Imbalance, Vertigo
CN VIII removed-deaf in R ear
Received amazing care from Drs. Roberson and Colen at CEI/Stanford (www.californiaearinstitute.com)

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 07:47:27 pm »
Hi Karen:   It might take some getting use to wearing the bubble if you sleep on your AN side.   Also,  I apply alcohol around the area that the adhesive will be placed & let it dry.  This has helped tremendously in ensuring a tight seal.  I sleep through the night now (with the help of Trazodone 50 mg every night except when I don't have to work the next day).
Here's to soothing eyes ! !
Always good thoughts,   Nancy
ps:  I too use Refresh PM (the sensitive type) exclusively.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 05:28:25 am by nancyann »
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 08:14:59 pm »
Nancy~
Did you get your Pyrex??  How did that go??

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 02:00:05 am »
K:  Had it done yesterday, 2/27.   The surgery went great (YEAH ! !).  The only problem is I have a pressure dressing on the eye & I think the gauze is scratching my eyeball - if I squeeze my eyes shut or look down, the burn/scratch goes away, so that's good.
I can't blow my nose for 2 weeks,  & I have to sleep sitting up (that's why I'm awake at this hour - also because I snoozed on & off all day yesterday).
& the usual,  no bending over or heavy lifting.   The pressure dressing comes off Monday, so we'll see how it looks.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 09:10:27 am »
I'm glad it went well.  I am SOOOOOOOOOOO leary of guaze bandages around the eye - that is how my cornea got so scratched the 1st time and wound up with it sewed shut! :P
Glad it all went well...what wego thru...can't wait to see you get some good results!!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 09:23:57 am »
I'll see how the pyrex tube works in the weeks to come !  I'm getting really good at looking downward.  I actually don't know if it's the gauze or my eyelashes, but I think it's the gauze, so downward go my eyes.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 09:30:35 am by nancyann »
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

aliciacz

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 10:18:26 am »
I had punctal plugs (removeable) in both tear ducts about four months ago in order to improve the wearing of multi-focal soft contacts. They worked but the left plug came out after a few weeks and one of a different shape was inserted. They were very effective in reducing the discomfort of dry eyes. My eyes have always watered freely by atmospheric irritants. The plugs seemed to be the answer to my dry eye problem, but then the right eye plug came out. The plugs are supposed to stay in place for at least two years. The alternative to the plugs is cauterization (laser, I suppose) of the tear duct in order to shrink it. This is something I would avoid. I think the punctal plugs can be a good solution for many individuals' dry eye problems. They work for me if they will only just stay in place.