Author Topic: vestibular rehab  (Read 3763 times)

prisca

vestibular rehab
« on: June 30, 2013, 04:11:05 pm »
Does vestibular rehab make the feelings of vertigo go away, or just make you able to balance better while still having them?  Thanks.  Only have vertigo when I'm prone and so it can be annoying, but doesn't affect my mobility.  Dr. offered vestibular rehab, but I'm not sure what it can offer.  I can use my vision and balls of feet/ankles to stay balanced when upright.  When l'm lying down, I can use the feeling of the bed against me to know I'm not falling.  Some vertigo if I turn my head right while walking, but I've learned not to do that.

DHJ

Re: vestibular rehab
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 04:24:53 pm »
Hi   For vestibular rehab I was encouraged to turn my head from side to side and focus my vision on my surroundings while walking and stopping and walking again. Not so easy while looking left.Rehab definitely helped and I continue using some of the more advanced techniques 2 yrs later. I never really suffered from vertigo,except maybe immediately after surgery.Rehab can only help . Good luck.       Peace Dave J
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: vestibular rehab
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 09:48:11 pm »
Prisca

I am going through vestibular therapy right now.  I was told by both the doctor and the therapist that the dizzy spells that I have will get worse at first.  But after they retrain you vestibular system you will be better.  I have been 4 o5 times and do feel my balance is improving.

The hard part will probably be continuing the exercises that they teach you.  If you stop then your vestibular system will go back to basically miss firing and will cause problems again.

TJ