Author Topic: Facial Recovery Question  (Read 5782 times)

sroch1

Facial Recovery Question
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:37:18 am »
Hi, so I am now 5 months post op and still no movement on the right side of my face. I have noticed however little things like my bottom lip has become more symmetical and my face doesnt droop quite as bad. Did anyone experience this during recovery or could I possibly just be imagining it?

Jill Marie

Re: Facial Recovery Question
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 03:01:31 pm »
Not imagining it, things usually start to change around 5 to 6 months, bit by bit, enjoy the changes!  Jill Marie
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

jmcneil189

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 02:02:15 pm »
I'm almost three years post op. I didn't really notice the loss of my lip droop until about a year after. I'm still getting new sensations and such til this day. Being that you see your face in a mirror every day, you probably won't notice any change unless it's drastic. Best bet is to take a headshot photo every six months. Don't get discouraged if you don't notice a difference. A lot of changes are small. Personally, my biggest issue is muscle atrophy of the face. My muscles want to move, but are to weak to do so. Exercising them is key.

sroch1

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 10:09:05 pm »
What kinds of exercises should I do?

NancyT

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 09:37:25 pm »
Are you working with a facial physical therapist?  I'm one year post-op.  They had me work on stretching and messaging the face first as the nerves regenerated.  Their advice to me is that the first 18 months is nerve regeneration and the first 3 years or so is then gaining muscle control.  What you are describing is what I went through also.  It's like the base structure starts taking form back first with less dropping, then improvement little by little.  It's very slow and others will see it better than you will.  Hang in there and see if you can find a physical therapist in your area that specializes in this. There is one in Iowa City, Iowa.
2.0 x 2.4 cm AN
Middle Fossa @ University of Iowa Hospital March, 2012
50% hearing loss, some facial paralysis, some balance issues

sroch1

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 02:07:52 pm »
No, I am not working with a facial therapist. My doctors really want me to get the 12/7 surgery I think its called? But I really dont want another surgery and Im really hopeful that my face will come back. So if I can't do exercises yet since I am only at 6 months post op. What kinds of stretching and massaging can I do?

alabamajane

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 02:51:46 pm »
Hi sroch1,
You did not mention, unless I missed an earlier post, whether the Drs. had to cut your facial nerve or is it just stretched? If they want to do the 12/7 anastomosis surgery, they must have had to cut the nerve.. I am guessing , as I am not a Dr.
I did however, have my facial nerve severed during translab surgery; therefore, necessitating the 12/7 surgery 4 days later to reattach the facial nerve to the nerve controling the tongue. I can not say how bad/or not the surgery was as I just stayed in hospital and had it done right after AN surgery.. that surgery was 12 hrs and the 12/7 was only about 4-5 as I remember...(almost 3 yrs now...)

If it was severed, I would think you would have to have the surgery to reattach the facial nerve to another nerve in order for regeneration to take place,, again, just my thoughts.. it did take about 6 mos. for me to see ANY movement but as NancyT says, it takes 12-18 mo for regeneration and even longer for the muscles to return... of course keeping in mind I don't expect to get back to "where I was" pre surgery.. but things are still improving at 21 mos.... nerve has regenerated and I feel muscles beginning to move again.. I did not work with a facial therapist,, but gave nerve time to regenerate before doing much more  than light massage and trying to make small movements.... I believe there are some helpful hints on the bells palsy website,, have forgotten but believe it is bellspalsy.ws,,, not sure but it is on here in someone's posts,,,,

good luck,, I did not want more surgery either, but after awakening an finding facial nerve had to be severed, I had no choice.. let us know how you are doing..... Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

ewchisek

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 04:45:11 pm »
Hi Jane! After reading your post, I'm pretty much in the same boat you were. I'm only five months post brain surgery and almost four months post 12-7 surgery....so not far out. My dr ordered me a neuromuscular electric transmitter for my face. But now after reading online the literature states that should not be used when nerves are regenerating. Have you uses this? Or were you offered this? Anyone else out there use this? Thanks, Elizabeth.

sroch1

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 08:06:04 am »
as far as I know, my facial nerve was intact so Im not sure why they were recommending the surgery. I thought just because I dont have full movement back yet they wanted to do it. I will have to ask him next time I see him.

alabamajane

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 01:50:00 pm »
Hi Elizabeth ,
No I did not use it nor have I been offered it. I had read the same info about concerns in using any electrical stimulation very early on during the nerve regeneration process. I tried not to stimulate my face more than massaging for the first year because I didn't want to interfere with the nerve regenerating correctly,,,, tried my best to be patient with it :P, ,,I would ask your Dr for sure what his reasoning is for using it so early ,, I'm sure he knows better than I .. Is this your neurosurgeon or ENT? I have found there are many Drs out there that don't really know as much about these ANs as some of us patients do,,, just my opinion  :P
I did not want to develop synkinesis, so I did not push it..

Sroch1,, let us know what your Dr says when you ask him about the surgery,, it will be interesting to see what he says as I thought that would only be done if nerve was cut.. Now I could see you using the electrical stimulator on your face if nerve is not severed as it would stimulate the muscles that may just be stretched ,, but again that's just me,,,
We all continue to learn by these conversations! Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

mandy721

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 01:39:10 pm »
I don't have time for a detailed post now, but it sounds like your facial nerve is healing.  It is a very slow process, but it can get much better. My husband had grade 4 facial paralysis after his surgery and no movement; the nerve was intact but badly damaged.  Just like your doctor, his suggest facial reanimation surgery.  After a very difficult surgery and recovery, the answer was NO. He noticed tiny, almost imperceptible  movement, just a twitch at around 9 months. but it was something.  Almost four years later, his face looks good.  He has been working with Jackie Diels for 2+ years on neurofacial retraining and it has helped him.  I've got to run, but would be happy to answer questions or talk.  Send me a PM .
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems