Author Topic: Allergy to the Titanium Mesh  (Read 4830 times)

Mei Mei

Allergy to the Titanium Mesh
« on: May 15, 2013, 01:59:43 pm »
There is a blood test you can get before you have surgery and the doctor places Titanium Mesh:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/denver-woman-allergic-hip-implant/story?id=19177949

There is nickel in the mesh which i am very allergic to and also the MRI shows that the mesh is entrapping my C2 nerve so the pain goes down my neck and right shoulder.   This has been my agony since Jan 12, 2010.    There are some places that don't place the mesh.   Proceed with knowledge.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Mei Mei

Re: Allergy to the Titanium Mesh
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 04:39:45 pm »
After the hour long phone interview with the nurse I got a call back that the National Jewish Hopital for Allergy and Asthma wants me to come for five days of testing that involve a weekend in-between.  I fly out on Jun 25 for the June 26th appointment.    The doctor that developed the blood test encourages people that are going to get an implant get this test first to avoid all the problems I've been through.
I have an appt with Dr. Tew in Cincinnati and if the allergy tests are positive, I might have it taken out.   I just might be in that 1 % as I always am with this Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and I just might be getting some benefit from such a surgery.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 05:08:54 pm »
Mei Mei. I hope this finally puts you on a road to wellness. I know you are struggling so very much. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Mei Mei

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 05:15:14 pm »
Thanks, Tod.   I knew you'd be there for me.    It takes an ANer to understand.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 08:44:00 am »
After the hour long phone interview with the nurse I got a call back that the National Jewish Hopital for Allergy and Asthma wants me to come for five days of testing that involve a weekend in-between.  I fly out on Jun 25 for the June 26th appointment.  The doctor that developed the blood test encourages people that are going to get an implant get this test first to avoid all the problems I've been through.
I have an appt with Dr. Tew in Cincinnati and if the allergy tests are positive, I might have it taken out.   I just might be in that 1 % as I always am with this Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and I just might be getting some benefit from such a surgery.

Mei Mei ~

Thank you for alerting AN patients who are considering surgery about the blood test to determine whether they are allergic to the titanium mesh that many doctors use. 

I sincerely hope that the tests show you are a candidate to have the titanium mesh removed and by doing so, find surcease for your pain issues.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Mei Mei and you are not alone.

Please try to update us after the test results are revealed.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mei Mei

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 01:24:11 pm »
Thank you, again Jim for your kind words.    It's been a hard road these past few years especially with my family thinking I'm loopy and are keeping a distance.   Those pain drugs change you as does all this anesthesia.   I don't know where I'd be if all of you weren't there.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo