Author Topic: Successful Surgery At House Clinic In L.A.  (Read 4210 times)

martinl

Successful Surgery At House Clinic In L.A.
« on: May 12, 2013, 09:45:57 am »
My wife underwent successful translab surgery at the House Clinic on 4/10/13 removing a 2.9 cm tumor.  There was no damage of any nature other than her hearing loss which we knew going in and the entire tumor was removed and she is doing very well.

We wanted to post this information for several reasons.

The first is to let others know about the great care she received there.  The surgery was done by Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz and we can't say enough good things about them for their concern and advice prior to the surgery and obviously the outstanding job that they did.  We also want to comment on the outstanding care before and after the surgery and in the hospital by Dr. Stefan.

The second is to let others know about Seton Hall.  For us, it was the best place to stay not only for the easy access to the hospital but for the support and friendship we shared with others going through similar experiences. 

Last is to let others know that this discussion forum was outstanding and so unbelievably helpful in making what for us what was one of the most difficult decisions we ever had to make.  Surgery or radiation and where?  We're aware as others point out that there are many facilities that also do an excellent job but based on the comments on this forum and talking with others at support group meetings who had been to House, we felt this was the place to go and we would never have to second guess ourselves.  We'll obviously never know if things would have gone as well at other locations but feel this was the best decision we've ever made.

We couldn't agree more with others who point out that no matter where you decide to go after your research, make certain that they have extensive experience with acoustic neuroma surgery.  The people we met and talked to that had the most problems had gone to centers where this surgery was not done on a regular basis.

We would be glad to discuss our experience or answer any questions if anyone wants to contact us.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Successful Surgery At House Clinic In L.A.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:35:24 pm »
So glad all went so well for your wife last month.  I followed her same path two years ago yesterday and have never regretted my decision.  I had the same team of Friedman/Schwartz/Stefan and their care and concern is unmatched, as far as I am concerned!

Ditto to everything you said about Seton Hall, as well.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

wwizeman

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 04:38:05 pm »
Thanks so much for the great information. Can I ask about your experience with House on the medical insurance side? Were they helpful in streamlining the process for you or was it up to you and your insurer to work it out?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 07:36:08 am »
I'm sure there could be different situations/insurance issues, but in my case the insurance department at House completely handled all of the approvals.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

martinl

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 09:02:39 pm »
My wife has Medicare and supplemental coverage and House said they would bill both but didn't take Medicare assignments and that we would be responsible for paying House after being reimbursed by our insurance including any excess that they didn't feel would be that great.
We have just recently started seeing invoices and reimbursements so I can't give any more details.

neetze1

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 09:36:24 pm »
Glad to hear your wife is doing well!  I was there a few weeks before you.  Seton Hall is a convenient place to stay.  It was so much easier with my family right there for me.  They were able to walk over to me at all hours of the night.  I had Dr. Luxford, Lekovich and Stefan.  Also a great team!  I returned to work in 6 weeks--a month sooner than expected.  I had a 12 hour translab surgery.  You would never know it to look at me.   :)
House handled my insurance.  I am still sorting through a pile of paper but I expect it will take a few months to all get settled.  I have BC/BS of NJ
If anyone has any questions, send me a message so I will be sure to get it. :)
Anita
South Jersey
Translab 3/20/13 at HEI for 3.5 centimeter
Dr. Luxford, Dr. Lekovic, Dr. Stefan