Author Topic: Scleral fitting today  (Read 2927 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Scleral fitting today
« on: May 09, 2013, 02:14:02 pm »
Facebook friends will recognize this status, but it bears repeating here: Thank you all so much for your thoughts, prayers and kind messages. The scleral fitting went well (first trial lens too loose, second much better, third one too tight - we're going with the second). My vision is still 20/20 under the ointment and the doctor thinks I will get very good distance vision back. The lens will be here in about a week and I will need to see him three to four more times. We are also working on a regular contact for my right eye - I think it's going to need a little tweaking too, but oh my goodness I am excited about this.

This is yet another way I am indebted to our armed forces. Scleral lens technology has developed in response to horrible burn injuries incurred by our solders in the Gulf War. I am humbled to be benefiting from their suffering and will be saying a prayer for them every time I put in my contact.

More details: Most patients who need scleral lenses have a bulge in their cornea, while mine is flattened due to LASIK surgery. It took nearly an hour and a half to be fitted, but that included the normal contact for my right eye.

The lens is made by Advanced Vision Technologies (http://www.avtlens.com/#!scleral) and will cost about $750. The doctor's office is running it through insurance as a medical necessity to see what happens. Best case it will be approved. If not I will file an appeal, arguing that after five years I am not going to get any more improvement in my blink and that a scleral lens is more cost effective than treatment for corneal abrasions or for injuries sustained in accidents due to poor vision.

Finally, I am going to focus on being excited about getting a lens instead of angry that I first asked about a scleral lens almost five years ago and was told it was not for my situation. At that time I think that Boston Foundation for Sight was the only option. Now there are at least a dozen that I have been able to identify and probably more.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

saralynn143

• MVD diary
Re: Scleral fitting today
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 02:52:57 pm »
Lens is here! Well, lens is up in Columbia anyway. I could have picked it up tomorrow except that my daughter and I already had plans to go to St. Louis. So Tuesday at 11:00. I asked to be put on a cancellation list in case something opens up Monday.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Jill Marie

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 10:29:44 pm »
Sara, Can't wait to hear how your first day with the lens goes for you, I know you're going to be so happy!  I too decided not to dwell on the fact that life could have been so much different a few years ago if I had gotten the lens sooner, just so incredibly happy I have it now!   ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the info. on how we came to have this wonderful lens, sad that it took our soldiers having such horrible burns in the War to bring us this relief.

Sorry I haven't posted sooner about your good news, I'm behind on a few posts as I have been out of town helping my siblings take care of my Dad's Estate.  I was able to give them good news when I told them about my lens and how much it has helped me, the drive there (4 hours) alone was much better because of it!

Happy Tuesday to you!  Jill Marie 8)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 06:52:53 am »
Thanks, Jill Marie. I just posted about my appointment. Need to be patient for another week.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09