Author Topic: Pre & post surgery questions  (Read 4478 times)

wiscyrunner

Pre & post surgery questions
« on: May 08, 2013, 12:17:19 pm »
Hi all,  I'm scheduled for retrosigmoid surgery at Mayo  on 5/22 to remove a 2cm tumor. I'm thankful that my symptoms have been limited to some hearing loss & constant tinnitus, other then the inconvenience they cause I feel fine.  As my surgery approaches I do have a few questions for those of you who have taken this journey:

1. Is there anything you wish you had packed for the hospital or took that you found to be of help?  I've read chapstick & a neck pillow were handy to have around.

2.  I have a 3 hour drive back home when I'm discharged.  Was motion sickness an issue? Any tips on dealing with that & has anyone tried the motion sickness bands worn on the wrists?   

3.  I know this question has many variables but how soon were you able to begin active exercise?  Walking is emphasized as part of recovery but how soon did you feel up to it?   When were you able to begin more active exercise like running, tennis or biking?

There will be a lot to deal with post surgery & I'm o.k. about being SSD, I can handle that.  I'm more concerned about the impact this will have on my lifestyle from a physical aspect, I feel that will be much harder for me to accept.

Any input you may have is much appreciated, as I've said before this site has been a valuable source of info & support.  Thanks! 

Anne   

RachelSta

Re: Pre & post surgery questions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 12:55:27 pm »
Hi Ann,
I don't have any answers for you, but I'm in the same boat and look forward to seeing the answers you get.i am scheduled for surgery on 5/29 at U of Michigan. I have 3 young kids and am very active. I really hope that I'll be able to get back to running, biking, and playing sports by the end of the summer.
Rachel

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 02:07:16 pm »
Hi, Anne ~

My response to your questions follows:

1. Is there anything you wish you had packed for the hospital or took that you found to be of help?  I've read chapstick & a neck pillow were handy to have around.

I suggest that you don't 'over-pack'.  This is not a vacation and the hospital isn't a resort.  Your own PJ's and slippers along with the pillow are usually a good choice.  I never needed Chapstick but many say they did, so it might be prudent to have some with you.

2.  I have a 3 hour drive back home when I'm discharged.  Was motion sickness an issue? Any tips on dealing with that & has anyone tried the motion sickness bands worn on the wrists?

My wife drove on the trip home from the hospital and I never experienced motion sickness so I can't offer any advice on that question. 

3. I know this question has many variables but how soon were you able to begin active exercise?  Walking is emphasized as part of recovery but how soon did you feel up to it?   When were you able to begin more active exercise like running, tennis or biking?

As Mark Twain once wrote, 'I don't exercise because I see no benefit in being tired'  So, again, I can't offer much information on this question.  I did do a lot of walking beginning about 10 days after my discharge from the hospital.  No running, biking or tennis.  Others have, so I'm sure they'll respond.

There will be a lot to deal with post surgery & I'm o.k. about being SSD, I can handle that.  I'm more concerned about the impact this will have on my lifestyle from a physical aspect, I feel that will be much harder for me to accept.

Due to procrastination, I lost my unilateral hearing some years prior to my AN diagnosis, surgery and radiation - so I had time to adjust to it.  Being SSD definitely has an impact on your lifestyle but how it would relate on a physical basis I cannot say.  Although I'm active, I don't engage in specific sports and/or exercises.  However, some of our members have returned to a very physically active lifestyle, including skiing, so life after AN surgery can be relatively normal.  A lot depends on your surgery outcome (lack of complications), age, physical health and personal motivation. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 06:31:53 pm »

1. Lists of useful items have been mentioned many times in various threads.  One item that I found useful was the facial wipes (the ones that you use to remove make-up). They were very helpful to help freshen up during the first few days. PJs with front buttons are generally more convenient.

2. I took quite a bit of Gravol during the first few weeks to alleviate motion sickness/nausea

3. Everyone is different on this. It depends on many things, such as fatigue, balance problems etc. Generally most people are ablt to walk around quite soon after surgery. I was able to bike 2-3 months post-surgery, but everyone is different. I also did quite well on table hockey and tennis, to my surprise! My advice is to take it easy, don't force yourself to do things, and listen to your body. 

I wish you all the best with your surgery

Marianna

GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Blags

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 07:03:04 pm »
As others have said each person deals with recovery differently. I was a very active and fit person prior to surgery so I think that helped speed up my recovery. I was running about 10 weeks post op a few miles at a time. By 4 months I was pretty much back to lifting weights and running multiple times a week. At 6 months post op I did a spartan race and this past weekend I ran my fastest 5k race shaving about 2 1/2 minutes of my prior personal best. So my advise is listen to your body and know what you can do but don't be afraid to try. Also my balance was my main symptom prior and now post op I am much steadier on my bike than I ever was.
Oct 2012 - 1.4cm AN removed retro sigmoid with Dr. Boockvar and Dr. Brown at Weill Cornell NY Presbyterian

wiscyrunner

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 12:50:35 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I hadn't thought of button front p.j.'s, that will make things a little easier. 
It's encouraging to read that others returned to an active lifestyle fairly quickly, I hope the same holds true for me. I have my last pre surgery race on Saturday & plan to appreciate all 13.1 miles of it.

Blags, congratulations on the 5K PR!  That's a significant amount of time to drop. 
Rachel, I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery & recovery, we can be post op training buddies.

I think as surgery draws nearer the reality of it all is setting in & thoughts of "last time for awhile" go through my head.  My last bike ride on the trails, last run by the river, last time I'll play tennis with my husband. 
I'm ready to get this over with & begin the recovery phase.

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 01:30:48 pm »
Hi!  Yes, others have said, we all recover differently - due to a number of factors.  Though I still have that ever-present slight dizziness we refer to here as wonky head, it has not stopped me from doing what I enjoy!  I was back on the tennis courts within a couple of months, training for a 1/2 marathon (I had only done my first 1/2 right after I was diagnosed) within 6 months, etc.  My husband & I took up dancing (West Coast Swing and ballroom) about a year after my surgery as a type of vestibular therapy for me...three years later, we still go every Fri night!  Yes, tracking the tennis ball and certain movement on the court is challenging (especially at first), when I spin while dancing, there's no telling where I might end up, but it's so much fun, I just do it!  Now, cleaning the bathroom, that is another vestibular challenge - one I try to avoid as much as possible ;)

I am sure you will also be back to riding your bike and playing tennis sooner rather than later!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Stepphers

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 07:15:11 pm »
I hope it is okay to ask this, but which Mayo Clinic did you go to and who was your surgeon?  I hope you are doing well!

wiscyrunner

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 06:30:12 am »
I'll be going to Rochester MN, Dr.  Link &  Dr. Driscoll will be performing the surgery.

The past week has been a roller coaster of emotions but I'm ready for surgery.