Author Topic: HEADACHES  (Read 9359 times)

v357139

Re: HEADACHES
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 07:08:36 pm »
I had translab and have not had post op headaches,,haven't really noticed any posts that have said they have after this procedure , have known a few folks that have reported headaches and neck muscle pains from retrosig though; however , as some have stated procedure may have changed some to avoid incident ,, good luck

Yes I am trying to understand if even with the retrosig improvements, retrosig might still have more headaches than translab?
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

v357139

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 07:11:31 pm »
I had retrosig surgery because I wanted to save my 65% hearing, but I lost more of my hearing with the surgery.

I hardly ever got headaches before the surgery & became a chronic headache sufferer post-surgery. However, I don't know that translab would have resulted any different in the headache department. Do I regret my decision? Not at all.

In June, it will be 5 years since my surgery. I still get more headaches than I used to in my pre-AN life, but they are not chronic & they are much more manageable.

Syl

Yes I just wonder if translab causes less headaches than retro.  So hard to know.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 12:37:36 pm »

Hi Jim I wonder if it also helped that you only had a debulk.  In that case, there was probably no drilling into the IAC, so no resulting bone dust.  Just a thought.

The tumor was approximately 4.5 cm and was reduced to approximately 2.5 cm.  I think it would be safe to assume that bone dust was present from drilling through and removing a piece of my skull to gain access to the tumor.  However, I'm not a physician and can only offer my experience as a patient who underwent Retrosigmoid Approach AN debulking surgery and enjoyed a successful outcome.  How you interpret that result is your call.  Because there is no guarantee of outcome, AN surgery decisions are inherently difficult.  I can only hope that you can use the feedback offered here to aid your decision in a way that works out well for you. 

Jim  
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.