Author Topic: Valium for Vertigo??  (Read 87377 times)

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Valium for Vertigo??
« on: August 29, 2006, 02:52:18 pm »
I've read on a few different posts that people are taking valium for vertigo.  My vertigo is still very bad and valium or any other drug was every mentioned or suggested by my doc's. They only wished me luck with adapting to it at the 15 mo post op point when they felt it was probably not going to get any better.  I would think valium would have the opposite effect on you.. I would be interested in hearing how it helps vertigo. Anyone???

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Kilroy1976

Re: Valium for Vertigo??
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 03:14:56 pm »
From uihealthcare.com:

"Valium and Antivert are vestibular suppressants. They are appropriate for certain forms of acute vertigo. They are inappropriate for chronic vertigo. The reason for this is that because they suppress the inner ear they prevent the balance part of the brain from properly compensating for the inner ear damage. Thus, episodes of vertigo, which might resolve in a few days to a few weeks, can be prolonged for months or years through the indiscriminate use of vestibular suppressants."

I believe that in our case, bad signals are coming through the vestibular nerve on the AN side, kind of like a wire with a short in it. The idea is to suppress these bad signals (stop the wire from sparking).

I've tried both Antivert and Valium. They both seemed to help me ever so slightly, but not enough to continue bothering with them. Pearl seems to be having better luck with the Valium than I had.

Disclaimer: The quoted material above was obtained from a website operated by the University of Iowa, so take it with a grain of salt. Go Illini!
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

nannettesea

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 05:22:40 pm »
Patti,
When my dizziness showed no sign of improvement, actually worsened 3 months post-op (now one year today post-op), Dr. Hain in Chicago (dizzy/balance expert) put me on Klonopin.  It has given me some of my life back.  It is addictive, and going off suddenly is not a good experience.

I've heard 2 mg of Valium three times a day can help for balance--this came from Phyl/Ppearl, as Kilroy said.  Valium made me worse/more off kilter.

Either way, see what your doc says about Klonopin.  Frankly, I don't care if it's addictive, if it helps one function when exercises and all other types of "retraining" don't work first....when we are this "far out", I think relief is very appropriate.

My 2 cents.
Nan (Dizzy Diva)
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

gohmnyc

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 12:33:55 am »
Pre-op, no over-the-counter drug was helping with my tension headaches caused by dizziness.  A doctor prescribed Valium and my tension headaches were GONE.  I thought it was a miracle drug.  As far as helping the vertigo...I'm not sure.  If the headaches are derived from vertigo, I guess that would mean Valium did help with my dizziness but I mainly used it for the headache.  Post-op, I preferred it over other painkillers/anti-dizziness medicine (these were too strong and made me vomit).  I'm thinking of not taking it anymore though if it will delay my balance recovery.  If it does indeed suppress the other side from compensating, it seems like a bad idea to take the Valium...a catch 22, I guess?  What do you all think?  Btw, I do not have severe "spinning" vertigo.  Mine is more of a balance/headache issue.
38yr old female
1cm AN, left side
Diagnosis: 9/25/06 in NYC
Date of surgery:  10/12/06
HEI, Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger

Current status: mild imbalance, mild clicking noises at surgery area, no hearing loss, no facial nerve loss

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 05:21:35 pm »
I thought vertigo's when you're standing still, but OBJECTS seem to be moving.   

Don't we ANers have Balance issues, & not vertigo????     Or do some of us get vertigo with/without balance issues???  or are we using the words like a 'same difference', interchangeable??

I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!     

PS:  Just checked in wikipedia: vertigo is spinning or dizziness caused by balance disorders  (NEVERMIND!!!!!!)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 05:25:17 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 05:27:18 pm »
KIND OF ONE IN THE SAME,   VERTIGO AND BALANCE,, THEY KIND OF GO HAND IN HAND. FOR ME THE VERTIGO CAN CAUSE ME TO COMPLETELY LOOSE MY BALANCE TO THE POINT OF FALLING DOWN.  AND THIS IS BEFORE HAPPY HOUR ;D

PATTI UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

amylynn

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 05:31:21 pm »
I was taking valium 2mg prn for restless leg syndrome before I found my AN.  I asked the internist at House after I had my AN removed about continuing to take it.  He said that valium is a nerve depressant. I did not take it after that(my surgery was 10/26/06)  I have since had left side facial paralysis(10days post op) which has gotten better not-fully.  I am just afraid that if I take it then my facial nerve healing process will be slowed so I wont.  it is definitely  a concern if it would slow down your balance nerve recovery. I wonder if your neurologist  can give you an opinion on that.      
amylynn 
3.0cm AN left
sx 10/26/06
House-Friedman/Hitselberger/translab
MO

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 06:21:06 pm »
OHHHHHHHH,

So when I almost take a spill that's the vertigo!!!!!   The other day I went to turn around (a little too fast) & automatically put out my arms like I'm ice skating or something to keep from falling.    Gotcha
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 12:33:31 pm »
...'ve heard 2 mg of Valium three times a day can help for balance--this came from Phyl/Ppearl, as Kilroy said.  Valium made me worse/more off kilter....

Hey Patty YooTee (and all).

I'm now down to 2mg/1x-day valium for the dizziness.  It has been working good for me, especially at night when I need to control the balance and dizziness in the dark (ie: walking the dog outside, etc).  I've cut back emensely as I know, once the body becomes too well-adjusted to the meds, it does tend to become not as effective.  Will see what the dr's say at my next appt in February.  For me, it has worked... but as we all know, "individual results may vary..."

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

katmumof3

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 03:21:41 pm »
I had my balance nerve removed, and the first few days post op i was put on valium for the vertigo, i found it really helped. Of course i was very bad at the time.  Personally i think the best way to help your vertigo problem is to do your vestibular exercises every day 3 or 4 times a day, and practice the 'moves' that you make on a regular basis. I found that helped emmensly :)

Take Care

Kat
2.5cm AN removed 26/4/06 retrosigmoid
awaiting follow up MRI

paulcr

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 01:47:27 am »
I realize that this is an old posting, but absolutely valium does help with vertigo.  It is one of the very few meds that suppresses the vestibular system.  Also, it is the only benzo (i.e., Xanax and other benzos) that does.  Doctors are hesitant to prescribe it because of the bad rep it has from the 1960s and 1970s when everyone had Valium in their medicine cabinet.  It does take a high dosage to be effective.  I have been on 40mg a day for several years, and while my condition is so sever that it doesn't resolve it, it does reduce it enough that it basically saved my life.  So you have to ask your doctor for it and not in 2mg or 5mg dosages.  Also, it has to be in your system before the vertigo starts for it to be most effective.  Take all reliable documentation into your doctor - things from WebMD, NIH, etc., and any case studies you can find to show them that it is effective, recommended, and safe as well as the only benzo with any efficacy. 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 04:14:03 am »
Hi Paul and welcome. This certainly is an old post!  Still relevant, after all of this time.

We like to remind everyone that "individual results may vary" depending on each AN'er's journey. Do you have an AN that is being treated by higher dose of Valium? Many AN treating physicians recommend low dose (ie: 2 mg) to help with vestibular/balance issues.  Myself included.

Again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ANGuy

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 03:05:54 pm »
Valium is not the only benzo that suppresses the vestibular system.  Lorazepam does for sure.  One Dr gave me a scrip for valium and it works great for my occasional attacks.  Another Dr gave me Lorazepam but I haven't tried it. 

40mg of Valium is a lot of valium.  It's a REAL LOT of valium.  Mine are 5mg and I split them.  On a bad day, which is rare, I might take a total of 3 1/2 pills for a daily total of 7.5mg throughout the day.  I may do this for a day or two and then not need it for a year or more.  I am pre-treatment, so my vestibular nerve is deteriorating over time, so I get rare occasions where it makes sudden drops in performance.

There are also several other drugs that are vestibualr suppressants.  Antivert has been mentioned as well as benedryl.  They are first generation antihistamines and along with making you sleepy and stopping your nose from itching, they suppress your vestibular system.  Phenergen is another.

Different Dr recommend different drugs based on their professional opinion.  I've been given phenergen, antivert (mecklazine), valium, and lorazepam over the years by different Drs.  My current guy didn't think much of any of them but said valium would be his choice of the ones I have socked away.

I don't know what the long term downside is regarding delaying compensation since I never use them for more than a day or two and even then only once a year or so.  I do know they stop the world from moving around and me from getting seasick on dry land.  They do take time to work though.  I usually feel pretty miserable for an hour or two before they start to work.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 03:08:25 pm by ANGuy »
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.