Author Topic: NYU Docs Gave Me Fantastic Advice, Helped My Decision  (Read 3538 times)

CGL

NYU Docs Gave Me Fantastic Advice, Helped My Decision
« on: April 19, 2013, 02:25:06 pm »
Hi -

I'm pretty new to this, and have been facing the difficult decision that all ANers have to make.  In my case, I have a relatively small tumor (less than 1 cm in its largest dimension, much less than 1 ccm).  I am 45.  I am a candidate for the surgery or for radiation.  I live on the east coast, in the DC area, and after talking to Dr. Friedman at the House Clinic and a local GK dr, I felt more confused than ever.  I made a call to NYU Department of Neurosurgery, because I had heard really good things about Drs Golfinos and Roland, and because Dr Kondziolka just moved there last year from University of Pittsburgh, where he worked with Dr Lunsford to pioneer GK in the US.  Drs. Golfinos and Kondziolka spoke to me in back to back lengthy appoinments and really helped me navigate the issues that were particular to me, and the issues that all of us face.  I want to alert everyone out there to their kindness and commitment in this regard because both of them gave me very frank representations of the benefits and detriments of the treatments that they offered. 

I recommend a consultation with these wonderful doctors very highly.

Cindy

Mickey

Re: NYU Docs Gave Me Fantastic Advice, Helped My Decision
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 05:07:20 pm »
You have a great crew @ NYU medical center... I know that their experience alone has got to be up there with the best in the world. I`ll say this just Waitin and Wacthin which they helped me get on to which has worked great. I know they`ll be there if necessary. Best wishes, Mickey

robinb

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:01:43 am »
Agree, you have seen some of the best docs in the country. You have to do the hard part; make the treatment decision.  I had GK, a few post treatment issues, but none that would make me second guess my treatment.
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 12:29:16 pm »
I've heard nothing but great reviews of the NYU docs; glad to have that reinforced with your post.

Great docs are out there, I had two myself, sometimes you just have to look  :)

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mei Mei

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 01:59:15 pm »
You've done your homework well.  I wish you peace in your decision making.   You've gone to the best.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh