Author Topic: 18 months post-op  (Read 2613 times)

LakeErie

18 months post-op
« on: April 05, 2013, 07:27:17 pm »
After a year and a half there is continued gradual improvement regarding my vocal cord, swallowing and numbness in my face.
My voice has returned to normal according to other people. It does not sound normal to me but I attribute that to my SSD. It initially took 8 months for my voice to start improving, but once it did start, the improvement was noticeable each month since.
Most of the time I can swallow normally if I am careful in how much I try to eat. Swallowing carefully is something I have adapted to, I do it without thinking now.
One area of my face, the right corner of my nose down to the right upper lip, is normal now. My lower lip and chin are not as numb as before, but are not yet normal. The front area of my tongue is returning to normal, while the middle section still feels burned. I've been advised that since I have improved through the 18 months so far, it may be possible to continue improving.

I had a large tumor subtotally removed. It took 7 months to get over the bobble headed feeling I had. I was jogging at three months, but did not feel normal doing it until 4 months later. From that point the remaining areas of problems began a slow process of recovery. I felt better every month.
If recovery seems slow, remember that in some cases it can be a long process.

Because I have residual tumor, 3% to 5% to save the facial nerve, I may need more treatment in the future ( gamma knife is my surgeon's choice.) I found three studies from medical schools that followed subtotal removals and found  the mean time to regrowth was 4+ years in all three of them. Not all subtotal removals resuted in regrowth.
A recent study of subtotal removals by the Univ of Florida med school followed only people age 65 and over (I was 65) at the time of the surgery. The Florida study found 2/3's of the people had no regrowth in periods of follow up for 7 to 9 years, if I remember correctly. The implication is that older people have fewer instances of regrowth of residual AN tumors.
There are current clinical trials underway under the guidance of Dr Peter Chang at Stanford with cooperating neurosurgery centers around the country to treat large AN's ( >3.0 cm.) The protocol is subtotal removal to preserve neurological function and use radiation as adjunctive therapy in cases of regrowth. I read a paper from Harvard med school that indicated this protocol may become the treatment of choice for large AN's.
I was very fortunate to have a surgeon with extensive experience in skull base tumors and his own minimally invasive method of accessing the C-P angle. I was unfortunate in that I had significant involvement of the tumor with the lower cranial nerves which led to the complications in my throat and larynx. But all in all I have recovered well and have no complaints about any of it today.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Re: 18 months post-op
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 10:17:00 pm »
I had the same problem with my voice after surgery. It gradually came back to normal over time. One day I came to realize
that the problem with my voice had stemmed from the tracheal intubation I had endured.  For long operations (mine was over 15 hours) anesthesia is usually administered via tracheal intubation. Additionally, I was in the ICU for two days after surgery, during which time I had a feeding tube down my throat. The feeding tube was most distressing and uncomfortable; I not only couldn't talk, but could barely even breathe. It was so bad I took it upon myself to yank the damned thing out on my own.

The intubation has an effect on the voice. My voice was weak and thin for weeks after during my recovery.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

LakeErie

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 06:42:25 am »
Yes, intubation injury affects the vocal cords. That injury is classified as fixation of the cord. Fixation is immobility of the cord with nerve supply intact. Recovery from injury of this type is normal.
Vocal cord immobility from the complete disruption of  nerve supply is paralysis, (paresis is partial disruption.)
Distinction between fixation and paralysis/paresis is made with electromyography which measures neural activity in the larynx ( which is muscle.)
It was the dissection of the tumor from my lower cranial nerves, #'s 9 and 10 specifically, that resulted in the voice problems I had. Lower cranial nerve involvement is relatively infrequent. I was fortunate that the nerve supply regenerated on its own and I did not require laryngoplasty. I probably had paresis of the vocal cord not complete paralysis.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:34:57 am by LakeErie »
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 06:52:47 pm »
You're like me. We both got hit hard. I can relate to what you're saying. When ANs get up to over 4.5 cm (or 45 mm) they often cannot be entirely removed but only debulked because they are involved with the other nerves. Hopefully we'll suffer no regrowth. The odds are in our favor.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.