Author Topic: My story...3cm AN.  (Read 22169 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: My story...3cm AN.
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 09:39:49 pm »
Amazing story.. thank you so much for sharing this with us all... truly inspriational.. and welcome back!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

RamAir

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 12:31:07 pm »
Well, another 6 months have passed.  Thankfully, I'm still not experiencing any issues.  I still have the occasional "bad balance day", but all in all, I feel like the luckiest man in the world! ;D

Talk to you all soon...stay strong!

er

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 12:54:40 am »
Thank You for your story
I wish I could have done the same
But if mine comes back I will look into the treatment. I do not want to go through the same thing again.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 06:48:22 pm »
Hi,
This is off topic here, but my husband's family is from Teggiano and his Aunt married a wonderful man from Avellino.  By the way I have AN located on my facial nerve.  I've had one surgery and awaiting another.  Your journey is amazing. 
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 08:46:05 pm »
This was an interesting story from RamAir and I applaud his remarkable ability to look his doctors in th eye and tell them...no thanks.  Not many of us would do that with the news that brain surgery is imminent! I'm sure most of us would just whimper and let them do whatever to us!  There is a lesson in this, that's for sure.  I've learned a lot this last year or so...from my own experiences and from others.   

Thanks for bringing this story back in the limelight.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

RamAir

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 09:38:03 am »
Hello everyone...

Just a quick update.

Recently had a full hearing test.  My "good" ear continues to compensate for my "bad" ear.  The tests actually showed that the hearing on the good side is better than it was last test.  My other ear is still holding.  I'm still showing a mild loss in the mid and high frequencies, but amazingly, it has not changed in all this time.  Staying in shape has helped with the balance problems...so all in all, no real issues.

On a personal note, I ran for City Councilman since last we spoke.  While I was unsuccessful, my AN has given me new strength to try anything (at least once). 

Looking forward to the next 6 months.  Keep up the faith...tomorrow will be here before you know it. ;D

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 01:06:30 pm »
Hi RamAir and glad you checked in with your update. I'm glad to hear that you are doing well (and sorry to hear about your political run) but sounds like you are on the right track for wellness... hang in there... and you are right about tomorrow.

good to see you,
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

RamAir

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 01:00:56 pm »
Hello all...been a couple of years since last I updated... :o

Anyway, this November will be 10 years post-op since my LINAC treatment.

I am happy to say...all is well. There has been no further growth, no further hearing loss, no balance problems...overall...everything is the same.  I still feel blessed to have my AN (yeah...go figure) since it opened my eyes to a whole new world.  It's still amazing how something so tragic (at the time) can now be a point a laughter.

For all of you considering radiosurgery...you know where I stand on the issue. 

As always, if you'd like to talk...my door is always open.   ;D

sgerrard

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 08:18:46 pm »
I love this post, and have not seen it before. I hope it is okay with you to move it to Radiation. A 10 year story is worth having around for those looking at radiation treatment.

I mostly like the great attitude. I hope I feel this way in 8 more years. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 08:20:35 pm »
Ram -

thanks for returning to update us on your status.

Lots who posted a long time ago never check back in - leaving lots of us to wonder what the latest developments might be.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

suboo73

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 04:18:06 am »
I love this post, and have not seen it before. I hope it is okay with you to move it to Radiation. A 10 year story is worth having around for those looking at radiation treatment.

I mostly like the great attitude. I hope I feel this way in 8 more years. :) Steve

Ram,  Thank you for the update! 
I think you are very wise for a 'young' person!

Continued wellness!

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 08:50:51 am »
Life is simply amazing isn't it?
Thank you for sharing your great detailed story with us, it most certainly will help others. It is so great to hear you are doing so well.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2009, 08:09:05 am »
Great thread.  I really appreciate you providing updates on a regular basis.
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

RamAir

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 10:40:25 am »
Hello AN family! 

Time flies when life is good!   ;D  As I've promised, I'm here to provide another 6 month update.

Nov. was my 10 year post-op anniversary.  Amazingly, I forgot and only realized a few weeks later (LOL).  But, that's not necessarily a bad thing. 

Let's see...life has been good.  My son's soccer team, which I am the Head Coach, finished undefeated!  It took us four years to finally do it, finishing with one loss the previous three seasons, but we did it!  What an amazing group of kids I had...loved every minute of it. Can't wait to do it all over again in a few months! Hard to believe, this year I will be celebrating 25 years of coaching youth sports.  Looking forward to 25 more!

As you can see, having an AN is not the end.  Heck, it's not something you had any control over...it just happens.  Life goes on...better or worse.  We have to remember to always look forward to what tomorrow brings.  I won't lie...For me, it's an ongoing process.  Yes, there are some days (especially during the cold, winter months) when I feel life has it in for me. :'( (I don't remember asking Santa for a case of the Shingles...ouch!)  But you know what, as long as we remember that sun will rise tomorrow, things will get better.  :D

Before I forget...Yes, I did have another MRI since last we talked.  I am happy to report...well, nothing!  That's right, nothing has changed.  Still just a dark spot where a tumor used to live.   My hearing and balance have not deteriorated any further, so all is well.

I have been contacted by several people since the summer...keep it coming.  As always, I am here to talk, listen, offer options...whatever you need.  You are not alone! ;)

Talk to you soon friends!

Be well...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 12:54:35 pm »
RamAir -

I'm happy to see that you're a man of your word - and even happier to see that life continues to be great for you.

Keep up the good work  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways