Author Topic: Surgery with Dr. Mattox at Emory?  (Read 5547 times)

drasberry

Surgery with Dr. Mattox at Emory?
« on: September 10, 2008, 12:27:41 pm »
Hi all,
Just wondering if any of you have undergone treatment under Dr. Mattox at Emory in Atlanta.  I have met with him and like him very much so far.  I am just curious if any that have gone through surgery with him have any input to share.  I am still considering my treatment options at this point, but am very much leaning toward microsurery.

Thanks in advance,
Darin
Diagnosed 1.5cm x 1cm right side 8/13/08
30% hearing loss right, some balance issues
Translab scheduled for 12/08/08 with
Dr. Mattox and Dr. Olson, Emory Clinic in Atlanta

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Surgery with Dr. Mattox at Emory?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 11:09:47 pm »
Darin -

here's a link to a past thread about physicians  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5755.0

As you can see there are a couple of very good posts about Dr. Mattox - one from our very own, Phyl   8)

There also a few other threads; to locate them search under "Mattox" or "Emery"

Sounds to me like Dr. Mattox is a "keeper"  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

drasberry

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 06:03:48 am »
Ok, thanks Jan.
Diagnosed 1.5cm x 1cm right side 8/13/08
30% hearing loss right, some balance issues
Translab scheduled for 12/08/08 with
Dr. Mattox and Dr. Olson, Emory Clinic in Atlanta

MKLady

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 10:21:18 pm »
Hi Darin,

Dr Mattox and Dr. Jeff Olson (Neurosurgeon) at Emory were my surgeons.  I liked them both very much.  I only saw Dr. Mattox prior to the surgery.  Since then all my follow up has been with Dr. Olson.  I feel that I was in the hands of the best around.  My surgery was translab on April 10th.  Dr. Mattox said that although I only had about 50% hearing loss prior to surgery, that I would have no useful hearing afterwards if I tried some of the other  procedures in an effort to save hearing.  He also said there was greater chance for headaches with other procedures because the brain has to be pushed aside to reach the tumor. 

I have not had any problems with headaches since the surgery.  Even immediately afterwards whcih surprised me since I'd just had my head opened!  I've been able to adjust to the hearing loss and I'm learning to manage the eye issues that come with facial paralysis.  Dr. Olson expects some movement to return.  So far nothing. But I'm still hoping.

One reason I chose them is that I live about 70 miles north of Atlanta and wanted to be close if complication arose. 

I will say that a good bit of what I've learned came from reading the conversations on this website.  It has helped me know what questions to ask the doctors.  I hope this helps in making your decision.  Good luck with your surgery.

Susan 
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

Rjacks14

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 08:55:09 pm »
Hello all, I guess I am the lucky new member to this elite club.  Diagnosed 12/30 with 1.7cm left side surgery translab with dr Mattox and Hadjipanyis very soon.  I have had tinnitus for 1.5 years and some hearing loss.  I have never been in the hospital and the you tube videos of the procedure are pretty intimidating.  Any words of comfort or advice?  Waiting to get it done seems to be the worst part.  From what I have read on the forum Dr Mattox has good reviews.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 04:45:52 pm »
My great grandfather graduated from Emory in 1892. It was the Atlanta Medical School, and it merged with Emory. He rode his horse from Cedartown to Atlanta, and rode back there to set up his practice as a doctor and dentist. He would be amazed what these new fangled doctors can do today. Thank goodness we have these highly skilled physicians, wonderful technical equipment and great nurses so we don't have to suffer like they did back then.

James