Author Topic: "First Do No Harm"  (Read 12418 times)

kibh64

Re: "First Do No Harm"
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 07:33:22 pm »
Jim Scott who was your surgeon?

nftwoed

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 11:39:36 am »
Hello;

I believe physicians pay to be listed at the ANA web site.
   Re, Hippocratic Oath, my feeling it's just a 'right of passage' in graduating from med school and means sum 0 to most Drs.

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 07:09:03 am »
I'm in Australia so I'm guessing that you don't want my referral :P  I just wanted to pop in and say that you are in good hands here, so log on as often as possible to have a chat with us.
Good luck with your ultimate decision and I'll wait around to see how you go  :D
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 09:37:18 am »
Jim Scott who was your surgeon?

I sent you a PM with that information, as you requested.  I hope it is helpful.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sandrawoody

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 05:02:34 pm »
It is interesting reading this post. l find myself in a position where when l was diagnosed in Feb 2010, because of the pressure on the brain stem,surgery was my only option. The doctors told me that this was my only option. Surgery went extremely well,no post op complications,no problem with the facial nerve, and l have kept my hearing in the affected ear. Sure balance became an issue post op , but l am fit and active, and l found by challenging yourself everyday, in different ways, balance can improve dramatically.
With yearly MRI, all seems to be tracking well.....it felt like a miracle.....

Untill Nov 2013, when it shows the regrowth of the tumour, my surgeons believed at the time that they had removed all that they could see.
So, effectively, there is no guaranteed CURE , of this type of tumour.  Surgery, it seems isn`t a 100 % cure.
My situation is now more complex, if it didn`t work the first time, will it work the second time.
We are all looking for a fix......yet for all the research l have been doing lately, it seems more like a game of Russian roulette ........
a game of chance........
As you say, l too, find it difficult when you have different medical opinion, surgery / radiation.....l for one , show that surgery isn`t always final....

elsie

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 08:39:14 pm »
Sandrawoody....Damn.  DK if that is OK here, but that's all I can say, except I feel so badly for you.
Very large AN removed Aug., 1988 - pushed cerebellum aside, touching brain stem
Dr. Wiet in Hinsdale did 12 hour surgery, got it all
Total right-side facial paralysis for 6 months, 50 - 75% return
Extreme dry eye and tinnitus in both ears
Lost all hearing in AN ear
1/8/14  AN Regrowth confirmed