Author Topic: What did I do to deserve this?  (Read 3816 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
What did I do to deserve this?
« on: March 17, 2013, 05:00:19 pm »
 Dear ANA Newbies,

From time to time I ask myself this exact question! Here I was minding my own business when all of a sudden I started having symptoms.  You may have noticed this in yourself then voila! You go for a few tests and you are having a problem with a small or large AN.

What to do?

First, stop and gather your resources and information by going to the ANA website and ask questions online.

The technology of brain science has come a long way! There is help here thank God! There are a lot of patients here who can provide opinions on how you can proceed.

Second, don't panic!  If you have an Acoustic Neuroma, chances are it is not fatal.

In point of fact, when people around you learn that you have a brain tumor they assume that it is fatal. Just because it's not fatal don't assume that it's nothing, that it will go away by itself

It does mean that you will have to make adjustments and accomodations. Don't fret, it will take some getting used to but you can do it!

I have to say, when I first learned I had an AN back in 2004, I panicked until I found out that it wouldn't kill me bUt even then I panicked... Don't do that! I didn't know about the ANA then!

If you are here reading this you are at the start, you will find comfort and solace here. If you are just starting out Good Luck! You have found a fount of information!

Welcome!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: What did I do to deserve this?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 12:40:17 pm »
Dear newbies,

Hi, it's me again.

I know so much about this stuff because back in 1970 I had a cerebral vascular accident (CVA) my parents at first were flummoxed themselves ( I was 13) at the time microsurgery was not perfected. They tried to have me treated at St.Vincent's Hospital on Staten Island, but then, very fortunately for me went to Colombia Presbyterian , where they treated me with radiation. Unfortunately, I had to wait until a second CVA(1974) to get treated at Colombia Presbyterian Hospital with a brand new technique called microsurgery. Dr. Sisti who was a student of Dr. Michelson (the neurosurgeon who performed the 12 hour surgery) has told me that this was the very beginning of brain surgery(the stone age, if you will). As a result of my surgery, which was deemed as a success,  I have over 70 metallic clips in my brain for which I cannot have an MRI (or else they will become dislodged and scramble my brain).

Don't worry, I can have CT scans for diagnosis and did  In 2004, can you imagine my shock at being told that I would have to undergo a second brain operation 30 years later? I was in shock and awe myself!

Dr. Sisti told me that  Neurosurgery has come along way since then from "stone age tools" and metal clips to nonmetallic clips which allow MRI's to be taken. Many different procedures can be performed up to and including AN removal ( total or near total). For those of you on the "watch and wait" plan, it is up to you and your physician.

It, being brain surgery, is very important you should weigh ALL your options and proceed with care! 

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!