Author Topic: VNG testing results  (Read 6054 times)

momof2beauties

VNG testing results
« on: March 15, 2013, 07:31:50 pm »
 I've been experiencing some AN type symptoms (vertigo, headaches daily, tinnitus, and numbness in the face that comes & goes), but have not had noticeable hearing loss. Visited an ENT who said it wasn't Menieres, or any other ear issue. Went to a neurologist this week to do VNG testing. My right ear is 27% weaker than my left. I had an MRI scheduled, but had to reschedule for next week because my insurance would not approve it.
What has been your experience with VNG testing, and what were your results? I'm not sure why the neuro didn't order auditory testing at the same time....

momof2beauties

Re: VNG testing results
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 06:22:45 am »
Also, forgot to mention, my symptoms started with crazy vertigo (where when I was walking it felt like the floor was moving upwards towards my face, and I would have to grab onto something). Then, the severe vertigo went away (or my body just adjusted to it) and daily headaches began. The ringing in my ears and facial numbness come and go, but I was wondering if any of your symptoms started suddenly, and then seem to come and go? It's like every day is a bit different. Is what I'm describing similar to anyone else?
Thanks in advance!

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 09:44:44 am »
I think the majority of our members have experienced all of your symptoms at one point or another.

I had my VNG last year after my MRI revealed the tumor and after I was already deaf on my AN side and after I was already experiencing balance issues.

So what did the VNG tell me? That my AN side was non-responsive and that I had balance issues. Duh.

A VNG might be useful in suggesting other directions if you don't have an AN but it's pretty useless if you do have an AN.

The best and fastest way of finding out if you have an AN is the MRI with contrast.

When you have the MRI I suggest you get the CD with all the images before you leave the place. When you get it home you'll know in minutes if you have one or not. You'll see what to look for by going to Google Images and searching acoustic neuroma MRI.

Report back to this thread after your MRI.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

momof2beauties

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:34:27 am »
Thank you so much for your reply. I will be sure to promptly report back after my MRI. Hopefully my insurance will come through & cover it, or I'll new forced to go to the ER.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 07:56:19 am »
I, as well, do not know why your ENT did not order an audiogram ..... that is rather standard for suspecting a possible AN.  However, not all patients with ANs have hearing loss as an initial symptom.  It all depends upon which direction the AN grows ..... if it is toward the cochlea, you will experience hearing loss sooner ..... if toward the brain stem, other issues sooner.

I also cannot understand why your insurance would not approve an MRI, with the symptoms you are experiencing.  Some insurance companies are looking at the almighty dollar rather than patient welfare, I suspect!

Prayers that you do not have an AN, but find out the cause and treat it accordingly .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

momof2beauties

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 09:20:19 am »
Actually the ENT didn't order anything for me. He just looked in my ears and asked me questions, did some Epley maneuvers, & referred me to a neurologist. He said it wasn't Menieres, and wasn't BPPV.

Got some great news this morning that my insurance finally approved my rescheduled MRI for this Wed. Hopefully I'll have some answers soon!
Thank you everyone for your support!

CLARICE - I noticed from your signature that Dr. Friedman from Duke was a surgeon of yours. He successfully removed a grade 2 astrocytoma from my father last year. He is truly one of the best!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 11:17:48 am »
Yes, the Dr. Friedman at Duke has an outstanding reputation for brain tumor removals.  However, my Dr. Friedman is the one at House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles.  My surgeon at Duke was Dr. Fukushima, who also is excellent.

So relieved that you will have some answers via the MRI this week.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011